Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What do I need to purchase for 3.5" lift kit for JKU?

Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would keep looking on tires as the one you have listed is an E rated tire which is made for 3/4 and larger pickups that haul a lot of weight and tow heavy loads. They make for a poor off road tire on a light vehicle. They tend to ride rougher, are heavier, and will not air down very good as the sidewalls are very stiff. Look past the cost of the tires and see what exactly you are getting. Many people make the mistake of buying an E rated tire because of price and suffer thru the ride and poor traction. A C rated tire is more then enough for a jeep and give you better performance. You are not going to want to mount a 13.5" wide tire on the narrow factory wheel either as even with 1.75" wheel adapters you are going to have clearance issues.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would keep looking on tires as the one you have listed is an E rated tire which is made for 3/4 and larger pickups that haul a lot of weight and tow heavy loads. They make for a poor off road tire on a light vehicle. They tend to ride rougher, are heavier, and will not air down very good as the sidewalls are very stiff. Look past the cost of the tires and see what exactly you are getting. Many people make the mistake of buying an E rated tire because of price and suffer thru the ride and poor traction. A C rated tire is more then enough for a jeep and give you better performance. You are not going to want to mount a 13.5" wide tire on the narrow factory wheel either as even with 1.75" wheel adapters you are going to have clearance issues.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Do you think a D would be an issue? I am seeing between 35's and 37's with a 17" rim that a D is pretty common unless I went down in rim size like a 15.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A D rated tire will work just fine
Old 06-29-2016, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

A D rated tire would be better then a E. I know its tough to find a C in a 37" tire.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
A D rated tire would be better then a E. I know its tough to find a C in a 37" tire.
This is true. E's are a bit rough in a lighter jeep unless you drop em way down, in the low 20s.

Think the only C in a 37 or larger is the yoko geolander, but it has a directional tread also.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:11 AM
JK Newbie

Do you mind me asking what tires you all personally prefer? It will be my DD to some degree. I only commute to work 2 days a week and maybe running errands around town. I think an M/T would be good for me and understand that running on the asphalt will decrease the life of the tire. I'd like it to run through the mud, over wet rocks that we have around me on my local trails (not true rock crawling as I'm sure most are used to), dirt trails, and plow through the snow in the winter.

I know nothing is perfect and I shouldn't expect everything on this list but I'd like as good as I can get.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm real happy with my choice of the Cooper STT Pro. They are shockingly quiet on the tarmac as well as work very well off-road.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

If you really want to get into the 3-4in lift under $1K, I would say your best bet would be going with the Zone Offroad 4in lift.

It seems like a pretty complete kit. Others that have installed it have given it favoriable reviews for the $.

- Coil springs designed to give a full 4" of lift while maintaining a factory style ride. Our coils are 2door/4door specific, so be sure to select the proper application.
- A front adjustable track bar is included to properly center the front axle
- Cam washers are included to correct front end alignment
- Rear extended sway bar links are included. These links come with urethane bushings to increase performance and reduce body roll. - The factory rear links are then used in the front.
- A rear track bar relocation system is included to perfectly center the axle under your JK
- 2" bump stop extensions are included to protect your vehicle while still increasing wheel travel
- Brake line relocation brackets are supplied to allow for the dramatic increase in wheel travel
- New Zone front and rear shocks are included that are valved specifically for your JK

It's $560 and then throw in a couple other items to top it off such as the exhaust spacers if you have a 2012+ ($42)
Old 06-29-2016, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

We went with a MetalCloak Game Changer for this 2016 Rubi...

Old 06-29-2016, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Shuffler
We went with a MetalCloak Game Changer for this 2016 Rubi...
He's not getting that for under $1K unless he comes and steals it off of your 2016 Rubi. That starts at $4K.

Quick Reply: What do I need to purchase for 3.5" lift kit for JKU?