Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Do I Need?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Do I Need?

After countless hours researching I have finally decided on going with 4.10 gears. Being new to this whole re-gearing process I have no idea where to start. Was looking for help on this. For instance what do I need to buy? Is there a kit or do I need to buy the past individually?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by coliniski
After countless hours researching I have finally decided on going with 4.10 gears. Being new to this whole re-gearing process I have no idea where to start. Was looking for help on this. For instance what do I need to buy? Is there a kit or do I need to buy the past individually?
Depending on the shop you're choosing to do the work, they may be able to get the parts for you. Also, they might even be cheaper through them. You'll obviously need the Ring and Pinion Gears for the front and rear axle. Then you'll need either an install kit or an overhaul kit. That depends on what shape you feel your axle is in. The install kit just includes shims and a few seals, while the overhaul kit comes with seals, bearings, and shims. It's basically a complete overhaul for your axle.

Before buying any parts though, I would get in touch with the shop you're having do the work. they might have to parts, or have a supplier that they go through. I hope this helps!

-Zach
Old 06-12-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Check out some of the package deals that are out there. Some are all parts installed and have a good warranty on the work.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XTZach
Depending on the shop you're choosing to do the work, they may be able to get the parts for you. Also, they might even be cheaper through them. You'll obviously need the Ring and Pinion Gears for the front and rear axle. Then you'll need either an install kit or an overhaul kit. That depends on what shape you feel your axle is in. The install kit just includes shims and a few seals, while the overhaul kit comes with seals, bearings, and shims. It's basically a complete overhaul for your axle.

Before buying any parts though, I would get in touch with the shop you're having do the work. they might have to parts, or have a supplier that they go through. I hope this helps!

-Zach
Thank you this helps a lot. Do you need a install kit for both the front and rear?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, one for each end. With a 2012, your axles should be low miles and in good shape, so the shop may opt for install kits. But, new bearings are a good thing, so consider the cost/benefit before deciding.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:43 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yes, one for each end. With a 2012, your axles should be low miles and in good shape, so the shop may opt for install kits. But, new bearings are a good thing, so consider the cost/benefit before deciding.
x2 Both axles need to have matching gears and both will need either an install kit or an overhaul kit. Your new axles would be just fine doing the install kit, but since it takes a good bit of work to do this, I recommend doing it all at once. That's why I say go for the overhaul kit rather than the install kit. There's nothing like putting new gears in and having a bearing fail.

-Zach

Quick Reply: What Do I Need?