Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What do I need?

Old 12-06-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need?

Hey guys, quick question on what I would need to go from a ~3" lift to something bigger like 4". Right now I have shocks(hydro 7000) and springs from skyjacker, adjustable JKS end links, extended break lines, and a rear track bar relocation bracket that came with the skyjacker kit. My question is, can I just buy new coils, and shocks, or do i need more than just that, adjustable front and rear track bars for example, anything with the drive shaft angle?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check the FAQ but I am sure some will chime in.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

First of all, be sure to reinforce the trackbar brackets, I broke mine 3 times and with 4 of lift I needed to recenter my axles, so I bought front and rear Adj. Trackbar... Maybe son Adj. CA's so you can adjust your caster and have better handling
Old 12-06-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Start in the Suspension FAQ's with the "what components do I need for a 4" lift" section. (pay attention to the advice on drive shafts...)

What is your 'actual' lift height now?
Which coils are you moving to?
Search a bit to see how much lift height they will give. (ex - if your 3" coils are short and gave you an actual height of 2", and you move to something like the TeraFlex 4" coils that actually give somewhere in the 5-6" lift range, you can't really compare it to simply adding 1" of lift)

Do your adjustable links extend far enough for the new lift height? (you want both swaybars as close to level as you can get them)

Do you have enough bumpstop for the added height?

Check the brake lines after the lift. Extension brackets are cheap and easy to make, and you will probably need some in the rear.

Both axles will be shifted further to the sides. If you can swing it, get adjustable trackbars instead of brackets.

How is your caster adjusted now? Did Cams come with the kit? Do they adjust far enough for the extra height? (I would guess they will not, and you want to get the holes welded back up and install some front lower adjustable control arms.) If you are on stock control arms, definitely look into a set of adj's...

Also, 2door or 4door?
2door, you'll want to budget for both front and rear driveshafts and at least one set of adj control arms for each axle to set the angles.
4door, budget for just the front. (the rear should be ok, for a while at least...)

Last edited by nthinuf; 12-06-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were you, I'd sell the springs, shocks and brackets and go with a better kit, but that's just me.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
If I were you, I'd sell the springs, shocks and brackets and go with a better kit, but that's just me.

I got the kit used, for $250. The kit is FINE, and I have wheeled with it already. I am just wanting to know how to plan for the future. Thanks for the advice though....
Old 12-06-2009, 09:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Were you gonna add spacers to your current springs or get new ones all together. If so, what you have would probably be fine with a 3/4 or 1in spacer. If your changing springs, the brackets you have may not be compatible with whater springs you get as far as getting stuff lined up like it should be. ( Given the fact that different manf give diff lift heights- ex. 4in really gives you 5 and such) With that amount of lift, adj trackbars and control arms are almost a must, at least front lowers anyway. This is the reason I said you may wanna sell the kit, since you'll end up changing out all the brackets and springs anyway. Check your shock length for compatibility too. I've been down the road with changing, adding stuff, just tryin to help.

Quick Reply: What do I need?