Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What do I gain from a long arm lift?

Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get baller status

I have the FT long arm kit and it rides extrememly well and feel tighter than stock when turning which is nice with the 3in of lift I added. Havign adjustable control arms and trackbars will help return the geometery back to stock which should be your primary goal in maintaing stock ride and handling characteristics.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM
JK Newbie

That pre-runner kits performance is impressive. I would assume it would give equivalent performance on the highway as stock?

As for the wobble wows, thats kinda wierd as I installed the 2.5/3 level kit with extened track-bar brackets and shock extenders and ride quality did not "suffer" per say. The only issue I experience was when I installed 315 Hankook Dynatrack (certainly not saying they are a bad tire by any means) and sudenly when I hit any crown in the highway it started to steer like a walmart grocery cart! I immediately went back to my 33's. I since added a 1 body lift and 5:10's and put on 315 MT Mud ATZ's and for the first two days was white knuckling it wait for it to dance with me. Surprisingly, no issues.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nkijkuit
I just came back from the European Jeepers jamboree and noticed that the most "agile" jeeps have long arm lifts. I currently have a 2-3" OME lift on my 4dr X and do not experience the "better than stock" drive others claim they have.

Been through various episodes of death wobble and while being "in stable condition" now, I don't like the drive quality now. I just feel how heavy my (meager) 33" are on the axles. Every little pothole is another adventure. Off road flex is sufficient however.

Which makes me think: should I switch to a long arm lift? Something like Off Road Evolution MFG JK 4" DoubleD Bolt-on Long Arm Kit (if I can afford it). I am hoping the long arm lift does restore the original geometry somewhat, hence returning stock quality drive-ability. Being in Europe I do little rock crawling, mostly sand, mud and a lot of highway.

My next set of tires will be 35's. A (real) 3"-4" lift will do for me.

Anyone made the switch from short to long arm and what are your experiences? What should I do? And which long arm lift do you recommend (and why). Do I need anything else than the above mentioned kit?
OME makes a great lift. Whatever you do, don't scrap what you already have invested. Invest in the TF long arms (or some others if you prefer) to modify...maybe track or sway bars. you can always modify your existing lift. Call Dave at Northridge or one of the guys at ORW. They'll give you some good insight.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Thats where we are at,deciding on long arm or short.Finding many folks prefer long arm.I've found 2 companies that allow you to use your current lift and add these kits without spending money on a new kit.Full-Traction and Tera-Flex offer these kits,good for both 3-4 in lifts,price about the same
Old 06-06-2011, 12:05 PM
b1g
JK Newbie

So, what you are all saying is that. To get an equal or better then stock ride with a 2" lift, you need a long OR short arm kit? Is that right? Because it suddenlty means you go from a moderate budget 600$ kit to an 2500$ or so kit !!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

In the research that I have done long arm kits will do nothing for lifts of 4" or less. There is a thread about this already (much bigger) where several manufactures have said straight out that the arms on a JK are plenty long enough for these lifts and no gain in ride quality will happen (but you will see other benefits) with a LA kit. You might want to look to your shocks or control arms for a problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wecf
In the research that I have done long arm kits will do nothing for lifts of 4" or less. There is a thread about this already (much bigger) where several manufactures have said straight out that the arms on a JK are plenty long enough for these lifts and no gain in ride quality will happen (but you will see other benefits) with a LA kit. You might want to look to your shocks or control arms for a problem.
You gain from them begin adjustable. So really just geting adjustable control arms is all you need in order to correct the geometry. Personally I went long arm because now I only have to swap out springs and shocks to go bigger
Old 06-07-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a favor and call Dave at Northridge 4x4. I have a 4" SuperLift on my 2dr. I have very flighty steering and my ride quality is horrible. Dave suggested I go with a complete 4" Full Traction long arm lift kit. He said this long arm kit will give a great ride and eliminate my steering issues. Once I get the cash, that is what I am going with.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by grmncrsnbr
You get baller status

I have the FT long arm kit and it rides extrememly well and feel tighter than stock when turning which is nice with the 3in of lift I added. Havign adjustable control arms and trackbars will help return the geometery back to stock which should be your primary goal in maintaing stock ride and handling characteristics.
Thanks, and your kit is made in the USA.. Who else can say this?

Originally Posted by familytime
Thats where we are at,deciding on long arm or short.Finding many folks prefer long arm.I've found 2 companies that allow you to use your current lift and add these kits without spending money on a new kit.Full-Traction and Tera-Flex offer these kits,good for both 3-4 in lifts,price about the same
The ultimate kit (short arm) is about 900 less than the long arm. Eventually you will decide to long arm it. I always tell people you might as well spend a little more now and save money later.

Originally Posted by wecf

Why don't you drive my 3" long arm two door and see for yourself
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

So if you already have a 4" lift on your JKU that's not a long arm, I bought mine used, you should scrap the whole lift & buy another one? That seems a bit extreme.

I saw the Teraflex kit, which I assume would be of great benefit, but are most of you saying to scrap your current lift??

Quick Reply: What do I gain from a long arm lift?