Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What to do ??? Gearing!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default any recomendations ? on what size gears ?

ill be running 33s i have 3.21 now and what brand and what quality is best i saw
several types in fact on 4wd.com site it has all kinds of 4.10 gears and different prices for same size gears front and rear ! i mean they show alloy usa , and one 410 gear for 680 and scroll down and another 410 gear for 200 + theres got to be a diffence and how would i know what to buy !! very very confusing also one type says intalation kit sold seperate ????????
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Take a breath dude

The easiest way to do it would be to just call or PM a sponsor. Dave at northridge or Busstabizz at 4wd will hook you up.

But, make sure you are looking at 'JK' gears. They are different than non-jk's. You will want two sets of gears and two overhaul (or master install) kits. Regular install kits can be used on low mileage axles, but you will be much better off with the new bearings in the overhaul kits.

If you don't have a clue what you are looking at, call...
Old 02-21-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run the 33s before getting gears. I run 33s and 3.21s and it scoots around fine. I will regear to 4.56 when I move to 35s.

Most popular I've seen on these forums is Yukon, or superior. I think the more expensive ones are made of a more strong metal for those who rock crawl.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Default ok thanks for the advise?

i hate to put tires and wheels on and then find out ive created a monster and end up with tranny problems !! maybe 32 inch tire is better and not even regear
for this year ! i dont even 4 wheel yet i did have 410 in my old truck and it was factory you couldnt beat the 410 gearing for pulling stuff oh would 4.10 gears allow me to pull more of a load as for trailer as well and does it effect tounge weight ? prob not on tounge weight im thinkin yet pulling it might , would be good to tow the harley on a small traier if needed ya know
Old 02-21-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
i hate to put tires and wheels on and then find out ive created a monster and end up with tranny problems !! maybe 32 inch tire is better and not even regear
for this year ! i dont even 4 wheel yet i did have 410 in my old truck and it was factory you couldnt beat the 410 gearing for pulling stuff oh would 4.10 gears allow me to pull more of a load as for trailer as well and does it effect tounge weight ? prob not on tounge weight im thinkin yet pulling it might , would be good to tow the harley on a small traier if needed ya know

Like everyone here is trying to tell you:

1. Slow down. Enjoy the jeep stock. Get out and wheel it stock before you do anything to it. That way you will see what you need.

2. Don't go big on tires and wheels just because it looks cool - you will regret it in the wallet. If you don't care about spending thousands of dollars then ignore this advice and go nuts.

3. Read the different threads on lifts etc. They will echo the same above. Nobody can tell you what the "best" lift is, because they're not YOU.

4. As much as regearing helps on the road, you are perfectly fine offroad in 4LO with your 3.21's. Do not let anyone tell you different. The JK goes into tractor mode in 4Lo and is pretty well unstoppable. I run a true 32" tire with my 3.21's and can keep up to most anybody until the rocks get ridiculous.

5. Learn to punctuate. Please?

6. The JK is not the greatest tow rig but people do use it for towing. Different threads on this too. I don't tow so I won't comment.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Junkie

Default lol, ok . ok ,0k

so my punctuations arnt in place ! i dun graduated 8th grade !!! thanks for the hep regardless of the mud in the eyes ! i think a set of rubicon wheels and maybe,?? a set of b.f.g. 255/75/17 would be ok for now ,with out doing the gears. !!! Later i could come back on and try and ask advise on what lift , would look best with only the 32 b.f.g .with rubicon wheels! however, theres so many experts and so many different oppinions it gets confusing! one says up to 33 inch tires your fine . then someone else says 32 inch tires and above need 4.10 gearing
and speedo recal. im thinkin 32 inch tires cant change the speedo if some sports come with 32 inchers to start, all i know is mine has 225/75/16 pee wee tires
looks to small for the taste buds ! my f 150 has 35 and six inch lift and i never had so many dilemas Attachment 129817Attachment 129818 i can put my jeep in the back of my truck i guess!!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

Default i guess thats why i kept the truck too!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a set of new, never installed, 37" tires that a friend was selling because he changed his mind about using them on his Jeep, and bought them for $1000 for a set of four. Then I bought four 17x9 aluminum wheels off of Discount tire direct for another $520. So $1520 for a set of 37" tires and 17x9 aluminum wheels. A good mechanics shop 50 miles from where I live charges $900 for a gear change, including parts, gear oil, and labor. So grand total for tires/wheels and gears was $2420.

Shop around a bit more. I'm pretty sure you can find what you are looking for for a much better price.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are just going to 32's, the dealer can adjust your speedo for you.
Anything greater then 32 you would need a programmer to make the adjustment.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

900 bucks !!! wow thats good to know that there are people that are fair priced !
n.h is kida difficult to find 4x4 shops , there arnt many , i wonder if any good mechanic can do the job? or would it need to be at a 4x4 shop who deals with jeeps 99% of the time ? again thats rare out here! i know of only one guy who deals with jeeps in n.h. maybe theres more ! but ya need someone you can trust too , because if your not there looking over the shoulder , how do you know your not getting used parts put in and closed up with out you knowing the swap aroo was done !!!! you get my drift ???? thanks for solid input !!

Quick Reply: What to do ??? Gearing!