Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What to do with the exhaust when installing On Board Air

Old 10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with the exhaust when installing On Board Air

I know my question is probably somewhere in this forum, but after searching for an hour I can't find exactly what I need. I am getting a Viair Heavy Duty On Board Air system installed and had to take the muffler off to accommodate the tank. The muffler shop put a glass pack type of baffle on the exhaust pipe and it is currently blowing down just in front of the rear axle. Since I am not sure if exhaust blowing under my jeep at slow rock crawling speeds is going to be a good thing, can someone suggest another way to route the tail pipe?

Thanks and I look forward seeing everyone next week at Rocktober Fest!
Rock ON!
Chad
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chads_rubi
I know my question is probably somewhere in this forum, but after searching for an hour I can't find exactly what I need. I am getting a Viair Heavy Duty On Board Air system installed and had to take the muffler off to accommodate the tank. The muffler shop put a glass pack type of baffle on the exhaust pipe and it is currently blowing down just in front of the rear axle. Since I am not sure if exhaust blowing under my jeep at slow rock crawling speeds is going to be a good thing, can someone suggest another way to route the tail pipe?

Thanks and I look forward seeing everyone next week at Rocktober Fest!
Rock ON!
Chad
Yourl be aight,miy xhaust been dert way couper yrs.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Yourl be aight,miy xhaust been dert way couper yrs.
LMAO, take a look at the mbrp off road exhaust, that is the path you must follow. legally your exhuast has to exit at the back of the vehicle, not underneath where passengers would be.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

My Trans Am exhaust is nothing more than Spin Tech mufflers welded to my headers. They end somewhere just under your butt in the front seats. It's been that way for years now with no issues (just some fumes at stop lights!).

I think you'll be fine mechanically but legally, I'm not sure. I've never even been questioned about it and there's nothing about the TA that doesn't scream 'pull me over because I'm well beyond borderline.'
Old 10-07-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rubi08unlimited
LMAO, take a look at the mbrp off road exhaust, that is the path you must follow. legally your exhuast has to exit at the back of the vehicle, not underneath where passengers would be.
OMFG...now they have skids for the exhaust????.....are you kidding?..i just keep cutting mine back after every time i smash it how much weight do we need on these Jeeps before we are forced to get hemi's to make them go
Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used banks exhaust and relocated the muffler to the evap location, installed a 5 gallon air tank in a Treks muffler skid off to the passenger side and ran my tailpipe over the axle and straight through the skidplate. Hope that helps you out.

Quick Reply: What to do with the exhaust when installing On Board Air