Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What did your regear cost

Old 01-08-2016, 03:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVJK
$1350 for both front and rear at Rebel Off Road for 4:56's installed in new jeep. Motive gear R&P's O||||||O
I'd say this is close to a fair price. Cost of gears and install kits is under $500 for a shop. I'd say $250 an axle no lockers is fair and $350 with lockers seems to be reasonable.

If you're quoted over $1500, you are really just getting ripped off. Maybe if you're in a high rent area where the shop has to pay a fortune in rent and taxes, you'll get hosed. That's when you drive a few hours and go somewhere reasonable. Shoot, for $3k, it would be cheaper to drop the axles and ship to EVO and back.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found Rebel's prices to be fair in general... Have bought other items there also and usually same or cheaper than other stores.

O||||||O
Old 01-08-2016, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

My regear from 3.23 to 4.88 was 2200 out the door. That included gears for the front and rear and new G2 cover for the front and rear. That comes with a 10 years warranty on parts and labor and a free inspection after 500 miles of the install. Best mod I've done so far. Completely new beast while driving. Plus my mpg increased on the long drives. Gained about 2.5 mpg. Not to mention that I can roast the tires on takeoff.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by batt75batt75
My regear from 3.23 to 4.88 was 2200 out the door. That included gears for the front and rear and new G2 cover for the front and rear. That comes with a 10 years warranty on parts and labor and a free inspection after 500 miles of the install. Best mod I've done so far. Completely new beast while driving. Plus my mpg increased on the long drives. Gained about 2.5 mpg. Not to mention that I can roast the tires on takeoff.
plus it doesn't mess with the factory warranty since the dealer has been involved with all the install of all the mods.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
My first regear (in Texas) cost $800 out the door. My second regear (in Colorado) cost $1600. You will read about several companies who are doing it for $1000. Many people, especially from the east coast and upper northwest, report paying up near $3000. Gears only, no traction, three grand. But none of those figures should mean anything to you. Unless you are up for a cross country drive, it just doesn't matter what any of us paid. What matters is what 'your' local shops charge. What parts they use. What their warranty policy is. Whether they stand behind their work. Talk to them all and get recommendations and reviews, don't just automatically jump on the lowest price!! Also, if you currently have a d30 and 3.21's, you will need a new carrier for it.
Very true. In the northeast we get much higher pricing. Anyone in the Philadelphia area get under 2k for a regear and are satisfied with the quality of work (no grubby back yard garages please)? If so where?
Old 01-10-2016, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

$950. $500 Yukon 5.38's with the rebuild kit from Northridge 4x4(F/R). Local guy who I used several times $450 labor total. It's crazy how much some have had to pay.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

$600 for Yukon 5.38 front and rear complete with Master instal kits from Marcus at RCO. +!3 bottles of Lucus oil.
Did the instal myself.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

$1100 out the door for motive gear 4.88's, master overhaul and labor on my rubicon. One of the perks of living out west
Old 01-10-2016, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Seems that down south the prices are higher. Not sure, I've been doing mechanic work for over 15 years. I'm just burnt out working on stuff since I've gotten older. Lol. I didn't mind paying the young guy. Lol
Old 01-10-2016, 09:37 AM
JK Freak

If I could pay 1k and guarantee the job was done to my expectations I would have no problem with that price. If it includes gears, fluids, seals, etc..... Problem is I'm already ocd and being an aircraft mechanic has not done anything but make my ocd worse. Doing gears is not rocket science but it does require a certain level of knowledge and attention to detail. Most mechanics I have met can't comprehend how a .001" difference in a shim thickness can affect the quality of the job significantly. I recently met a mechanic that works for a very well known vehicle modifying business and they customize some amazing jeeps. This guy also happens to do all of the gear work when it is required. I was picking his brain about how he approaches changing the pattern after his initial reading when setting up a new gear set. His response to me was that he just puts the factory pinion shim back in every time, sets the backlash, and lets it go. If it's making any noise or whining it doesn't matter because by the time they put the huge mud tires on you cant hear it over the tire noise. This is why I put the stock tires back on for a while every time I fiddle around with my gears and I tell other people to do that as well so you can really hear if something is going on.

Last edited by DKJEEP; 01-10-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Quick Reply: What did your regear cost