Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What did your regear cost

Old 01-08-2016, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did your regear cost

Looking at 5.13s or 4.88s no lockers just curious what it costed you in total. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

$999.00 Offroad Evolution 5.13s
Old 01-08-2016, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1k during a north ridge special.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

$400 total. Did it myself.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

When you regear there may be more to it than just a regear. You can find offers for one thousand dollars for a regear. Then when you arrive, they recommend replacing the bearings, seals, etc. Bottom line: Plan on $1500 or so for a properly done job except on the newest of Jeeps (then that thousand dollar deal may be alright).
Old 01-08-2016, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by DKJEEP
$400 total. Did it myself.
It would be generous of you to specify what you replaced. Having just purchased a gearset for my rear axle, I'm pretty familiar with what you can get and how much it will cost. And $400 won't cover parts for a full regear, master bearing kit, seals and maybe rear axle bearings. Not trying to call you out, per se, but it's more helpful if you're more forthright with what exactly you did and why you chose that path. It may, in fact, be the perfect path for you--but maybe not for that other guy. :-)
Old 01-08-2016, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
When you regear there may be more to it than just a regear. You can find offers for one thousand dollars for a regear. Then when you arrive, they recommend replacing the bearings, seals, etc. Bottom line: Plan on $1500 or so for a properly done job except on the newest of Jeeps (then that thousand dollar deal may be alright).
There will probably be around 13k on the jeep before regear.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

My first regear (in Texas) cost $800 out the door. My second regear (in Colorado) cost $1600. You will read about several companies who are doing it for $1000. Many people, especially from the east coast and upper northwest, report paying up near $3000. Gears only, no traction, three grand.

But none of those figures should mean anything to you.

Unless you are up for a cross country drive, it just doesn't matter what any of us paid. What matters is what 'your' local shops charge. What parts they use. What their warranty policy is. Whether they stand behind their work. Talk to them all and get recommendations and reviews, don't just automatically jump on the lowest price!!

Also, if you currently have a d30 and 3.21's, you will need a new carrier for it.

Last edited by nthinuf; 01-08-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It would be generous of you to specify what you replaced. Having just purchased a gearset for my rear axle, I'm pretty familiar with what you can get and how much it will cost. And $400 won't cover parts for a full regear, master bearing kit, seals and maybe rear axle bearings. Not trying to call you out, per se, but it's more helpful if you're more forthright with what exactly you did and why you chose that path. It may, in fact, be the perfect path for you--but maybe not for that other guy. :-)
Fair enough, I bought 2 gear sets for $120 a piece. They were brand new in the box Spicer gear sets as well. Just happen to find a good deal on them from someone looking to unload. I replaced all bearings and pinion seals as well. I did not do the outboard axle seals. Those are a pita to do and not worth it to me unless they are leaking. I own all the tools and have tons of leftover shims, fluids, etc from other people jobs.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

$1350 for both front and rear at Rebel Off Road for 4:56's installed in new jeep. Motive gear R&P's

O||||||O

Quick Reply: What did your regear cost