Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Did You Pay For Remote Car Starter?

Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boon4376
The whole reason why Compustar is better in this situation is because of the manual transmission - Compustar systems have "reservation mode" which pretty much eliminates the possibility of it starting in gear. In order to arm the remote start system you must follow this sequence[*]Place vehicle in neutral with foot on the brake[*]Activate hand brake[*]take foot off foot-brake[*]use the remote to arm the remote starter system[*]turn key to off position and remove (the engine stays running)[*]Get out of vehicle and shut door - at this point because the engine is running and you are outside the vehicle with the e-brake on, there's no way for it to be in gear.[*]Lock Door - Locking the door shuts off the engine and completes the activation process. You are now able to use the remote start system. Any disruption to the vehicle disables remote start (such as unlocking, opening a door, setting off the alarm) - because in those situations, someone has a chance to put the vehicle in gear. You have to go through the arming process again. It's a little cumbersome, but it seems pretty fool proof - no accidentally hitting the button in my pocket and having it drive into a family picnic. From what I could tell from Viper's website, I don't believe they offer anything like that.
You have to do all the steps with the viper one also. All of them are basically compatible with manual transmissions
Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortin makes the bypass unit a lot of installers use for the immobilizer and factory alarm. The funny thing is the Fortin Evo all will also act as a remote starter for most of the jeep wrangler JK's. It is not designed for manual transmissions but that is easy to fix with a relay to complete the ground circuit. I did mine with out cutting a single wire on the jeep. I used the Chrysler wiring adapter from Fortin and used the programmer from fortin to enable it to be a remote starter. The Evo ships from the factory with feature disabled. I think with the programmer , wiring harness and evo all I am about $160 into the remote starter on my 6 spd Rubi.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $27,000 for mine, but it came with a free Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2013, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billbikes
I paid $27,000 for mine, but it came with a free Jeep. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HA!!! ^^ I got the same deal
Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Aftermarket are always the best and especially the ones that are 2 way communication with built in alarm. You can set the sensitivity on them to your liking so if someone just bumps it then it does the warn away or goes off and it alerts your key remote at the same time. Plus the good ones have a huge range. Plus you can add the modules fir the phone apps which I think even some of then allow you to disable the vehicle if stolen. Not sure bout that part. Mine luckily came with an aftermarket one installed. It is autopage which I don't really like. Would love to rip it out and out a viper in but it's already there and it works and that's money that can be spent elsewhere

I am very surprised thought that bestbuy didn't try and sale the OP the viper system. The salesman or installer must not know squat about what they are doing if they didn't mention that the vipers are made for manual also.

Quick Reply: What Did You Pay For Remote Car Starter?