Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Did You Pay For Remote Car Starter?

Old 11-16-2013, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Did You Pay For Remote Car Starter?

I am getting a Compustar system installed in my 2013 JK with manual transmission (it has a shutdown sequence that makes it safe / requires neutral with e-brake on).

Just wondering what everyone here paid for their remote start systems? Automatic and Manual owners.

I'm being quoted $440 for parts and labor out the door. When they thought I had an automatic, I was quoted $310.

Just trying to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. This is at Best Buy.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boon4376
I am getting a Compustar system installed in my 2013 JK with manual transmission (it has a shutdown sequence that makes it safe / requires neutral with e-brake on).

Just wondering what everyone here paid for their remote start systems? Automatic and Manual owners.

I'm being quoted $440 for parts and labor out the door. When they thought I had an automatic, I was quoted $310.

Just trying to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. This is at Best Buy.
Doesn't sound horrible. I installed one myself at the same time as viper alarm and it was kind of a b*tch. Next time id pay someone to do it for me. There are kits on the ebay that you can find that will do the same thing for around 100-150 bucks. And I easily had 4 hours of time because i needed to figure out which wire to cut.. so.. yah.. just pay and be done
Old 11-16-2013, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Sounds about right to me. I did the same thing and I think that's about what it cost me out the door.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Junkie

They do charge a little more for the manual since there is a little extra work involved but the price will depend on the system. I've got the viper 5704 and it was $700 when I got it installed. That does include a lifetime warranty on the unit though and they don't charge for any reprogramming I have done.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2013, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, that helps me be more comfortable. I guess I'm right in line with what people generally pay then.

Originally Posted by orangedude71
Doesn't sound horrible. I installed one myself at the same time as viper alarm and it was kind of a b*tch. Next time id pay someone to do it for me. There are kits on the ebay that you can find that will do the same thing for around 100-150 bucks. And I easily had 4 hours of time because i needed to figure out which wire to cut.. so.. yah.. just pay and be done
Yeah I considered doing it myself, I've done my CB radio and have installed a few car stereos + amps - but I took one look at the wiring diagrams for remote starters and figured I'd be hunting around praying I was cutting and insulating the right wires and that it was much more complicated - and figured I'd let a pro do it. The guy I found has been doing these for 6 years and has a lot of experience with manual transmissions. The guy at my home town best buy wouldn't do it and referred me to a different store with a more experienced installer.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls
They do charge a little more for the manual since there is a little extra work involved but the price will depend on the system. I've got the viper 5704 and it was $700 when I got it installed. That does include a lifetime warranty on the unit though and they don't charge for any reprogramming I have done. Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
yep my point exactly. I installed 5704 and by the time I orders all the install parts and harnesses I was at 450 and then spent one full day getting it installed. Never again.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM
JK Junkie

Yea unless your familiar with them or are good at wiring in a vehicle, well let's put it this way: it's like regearing it's not something you want to dive into unless you have experience with it. Just pay someone to do it. I used to work at best buy and that's about right. However look at the viper systems. They are the best on the market. I would also look at maybe the remote/alarm systems. Great range and it's 2 way alarm so if your in range which is a pretty big range then it alerts your key chain. They also have the viper thing for your smartphone so you can track it and do all kinds of stuff. More expensive though.

Word of caution though just make sure you don't have it in gear when you start it. It sounds like a no brainer but it's very easy to forget. Especially if your one of those that typically leave it in gear when you shut off your car. It's hard to break habit
Old 11-16-2013, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
Yea unless your familiar with them or are good at wiring in a vehicle, well let's put it this way: it's like regearing it's not something you want to dive into unless you have experience with it. Just pay someone to do it. I used to work at best buy and that's about right. However look at the viper systems. They are the best on the market. I would also look at maybe the remote/alarm systems. Great range and it's 2 way alarm so if your in range which is a pretty big range then it alerts your key chain. They also have the viper thing for your smartphone so you can track it and do all kinds of stuff. More expensive though.

Word of caution though just make sure you don't have it in gear when you start it. It sounds like a no brainer but it's very easy to forget. Especially if your one of those that typically leave it in gear when you shut off your car. It's hard to break habit
The whole reason why Compustar is better in this situation is because of the manual transmission - Compustar systems have "reservation mode" which pretty much eliminates the possibility of it starting in gear. In order to arm the remote start system you must follow this sequence
  1. Place vehicle in neutral with foot on the brake
  2. Activate hand brake
  3. take foot off foot-brake
  4. use the remote to arm the remote starter system
  5. turn key to off position and remove (the engine stays running)
  6. Get out of vehicle and shut door - at this point because the engine is running and you are outside the vehicle with the e-brake on, there's no way for it to be in gear.
  7. Lock Door - Locking the door shuts off the engine and completes the activation process.

You are now able to use the remote start system. Any disruption to the vehicle disables remote start (such as unlocking, opening a door, setting off the alarm) - because in those situations, someone has a chance to put the vehicle in gear. You have to go through the arming process again. It's a little cumbersome, but it seems pretty fool proof - no accidentally hitting the button in my pocket and having it drive into a family picnic.

From what I could tell from Viper's website, I don't believe they offer anything like that.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

The whole reason why Compustar is better in this situation is because of the manual transmission - Compustar systems have "reservation mode" which pretty much eliminates the possibility of it starting in gear. In order to arm the remote start system you must follow this sequence
  2. Activate hand brake
  6. Get out of vehicle and shut door - at this point because the engine is running and you are outside the vehicle with the e-brake on, there's no way for it to be in gear.
  7. Lock Door - Locking the door shuts off the engine and completes the activation process.

You are now able to use the remote start system. Any disruption to the vehicle disables remote start (such as unlocking, opening a door, setting off the alarm) - because in those situations, someone has a chance to put the vehicle in gear. You have to go through the arming process again. It's a little cumbersome, but it seems pretty fool proof - no accidentally hitting the button in my pocket and having it drive into a family picnic.

From what I could tell from Viper's website, I don't believe they offer anything like that.
the 5901/5704 did have a manual mode.. i can't remember exactly how it was setup.. I believe you needed to tap the neutral switch and e brake sensor switch. I had an automatic so i didn't bother.. but the vipers ship default in manual mode. so step one is to set it up into automatic mode.. and only then does the remote start work.. If I had to, and someone was willing to release me from all liability, id consider helping someone install another one but.. boy it would require a ton of beer..
Old 11-16-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

2. Activate hand brake

The viper system is almost identical. You've got to be out of gear, foot on the brake, pull the ebrake, release the brake, press the button, it beeps, you get out (still running....in neutral....with ebrake), lock it and it shuts down.

I've intentionally set my alarm off and such to ensure it won't start. I did manage to get it to start by switching the system to 'think' the jeep was an automatic but set it back to manual mode.

The viper doesn't let me use the remote start if someone has opened a door, unlocked it, set off the alarm, etc.

Don't judge the book by the cover until you've actually read it. The manual doesn't give you the specifics of the system as well as doing it by yourself.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: What Did You Pay For Remote Car Starter?