Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what determines the ride quality? Shock or Coil

Old 04-14-2010, 06:20 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfmanii
Just a quick question:

when you had OME kit, did you add anything else? such as adjustable track bar, sway bar link extension?
actually, i still am running an OME lift but i now have the taller coils. as far as additions go, yes, i installed front and rear jks adjustable track bars, adjustable northridge4x4 sway bar links in the rear and jks quick disconnects up front. now that i'm a bit taller, i have extended brake lines, OME long travel shocks and a coast 1310 front driveshaft.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
also, when i hear things like the "right match", i need to remind you that ride comfort is 100% subjective. what one person thinks is a good match, another may not agree. this is just something you need to be aware of.
Righto, just like when you see a fat ugly woman with a guy who thinks she looks like a supermodel and the ride is good, and vice versa. Everything can be subjective. haha. I went through a bb, and two different sets of coils, 3 different sets of shocks with the coils. Finally somewhat happy now.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:30 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Righto, just like when you see a fat ugly woman with a guy who thinks she looks like a supermodel and the ride is good, and vice versa. Everything can be subjective. haha. I went through a bb, and two different sets of coils, 3 different sets of shocks with the coils. Finally somewhat happy now.
unfortunately, it can take some work to get what you want and i think it's clear that what some people think is great, others will not.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Hmmm

Well, thats a misleading answer...the question was what's most important, which DETERMINES RIDE QUALITY, not which is more likely to be screwed up by buying a lift.

So, sure, if you go with a coil of short height but a high spring rate, it might be too stiff for the weight of the jeep, so that all of the coil related issues can be present, as I had mentioned before.

On the other hand, if you SELECT that coil, assuming you did your homework and did some math to calculate what spring rate, etc, you might WANT....it might result in a range that works for you.

On the third hand, if you lift the jeep, you need different shocks, and, you should also do some math, and determine what valving range and so forth THEY should be.

If you screw that up, even if you picked the "right coils", its still not going to ride "right" .

As shocks are more variable than coils in availability for example, its typically EASIER to start with the coils, and then pick shocks that make sense...which is the application that you are talking about, a practical chronology....but, not a DETERMINATION by either per se.

So, from a practical stand point, you really DO need to sweat the details if you care about the results...and, as you mentioned, the lift you buy off the rack probably used too stiff a coil and the wrong shocks to damp the motions.

I've personally just done the math, and picked stuff that seemed to work for me...but, I've also had to fix buddies rigs that were simply out of synch suspension-wise.

Changing to a more appropriate coil, or, a more appropriate shock, or both, can fix things, as can changing tire pressures and loosening over tightened bushings, etc.

I tend to look for what ever solution is cheapest first...rather than just saying its the coils being too stiff and calling it a day w/o checking it out.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks TEEJ

TEEJ:

Can you share with me on how you do the calculation on spring rate, valve range etc.
I am very interested in this part. I would like to make a educated guess before buying.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
actually, i still am running an OME lift but i now have the taller coils. as far as additions go, yes, i installed front and rear jks adjustable track bars, adjustable northridge4x4 sway bar links in the rear and jks quick disconnects up front. now that i'm a bit taller, i have extended brake lines, OME long travel shocks and a coast 1310 front driveshaft.
I thought you were running the EVO system with King shocks..?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
I thought you were running the EVO system with King shocks..?
he reffering to lil nemo i believe
Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Hmmm

Well, thats a misleading answer...the question was what's most important, which DETERMINES RIDE QUALITY, not which is more likely to be screwed up by buying a lift.

So, sure, if you go with a coil of short height but a high spring rate, it might be too stiff for the weight of the jeep, so that all of the coil related issues can be present, as I had mentioned before.

On the other hand, if you SELECT that coil, assuming you did your homework and did some math to calculate what spring rate, etc, you might WANT....it might result in a range that works for you.

On the third hand, if you lift the jeep, you need different shocks, and, you should also do some math, and determine what valving range and so forth THEY should be.

If you screw that up, even if you picked the "right coils", its still not going to ride "right" .

As shocks are more variable than coils in availability for example, its typically EASIER to start with the coils, and then pick shocks that make sense...which is the application that you are talking about, a practical chronology....but, not a DETERMINATION by either per se.

So, from a practical stand point, you really DO need to sweat the details if you care about the results...and, as you mentioned, the lift you buy off the rack probably used too stiff a coil and the wrong shocks to damp the motions.

I've personally just done the math, and picked stuff that seemed to work for me...but, I've also had to fix buddies rigs that were simply out of synch suspension-wise.

Changing to a more appropriate coil, or, a more appropriate shock, or both, can fix things, as can changing tire pressures and loosening over tightened bushings, etc.

I tend to look for what ever solution is cheapest first...rather than just saying its the coils being too stiff and calling it a day w/o checking it out.
for the love of god man

is it possible for you to just

answer a simple question

without writing a

doublespaced dissertation

about nothing?

seriously, you talk about math and spring rates like it's something anyone could do with a measuring tape and some chewing gum. if it's really so easy to figure out, please, enlighten us just how you can simply look at coils that you don't even physically have in your hands and SELECT one that would be a perfect match for your subjective taste and based soley on your calculated spring rate using some "math". i mean hell, i can't even get most manufacturers to tell me what spring rates they use let alone know if it'd be something i'd personally prefer even if they did tell me. so please, do tell all so that the rest of us can look for the cheapest solution first just like you.

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-14-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by mkjeep
he reffering to lil nemo i believe
what he said. i have 2 JK's and my orange one - lil nemo, is riding on an OME lift.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default What coil does your OME kit use, light duty o heavy duty

Wayoflife, What coil does your OME kit use, light duty o heavy duty?

Thanks

Quick Reply: what determines the ride quality? Shock or Coil