Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what is the death wobble??

Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rangleme
I have both of those things to install. Has it stopped?

I had dw today and a guy in another car saw it, told me I need to check my front tire. I have always wondered what it looks like on the outside.
I do not have the control arms on yet but the trackbar did not fix it but it did straighten the front end.I hope the control arms fixes it
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
.......... track bar bolts that are not properly tightend to the appropriate toque setting will allow death wobble to occur..........
This may be a stupid question, but is this to say that the track bar bolts can be TOO TIGHT?

corey d
Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default dw

start your jeep and have someone get in and move the steering wheel back and fourth as hard /fast as they can and climb under grabbing all the components feeling for play in any parts. I found a bad heim joint in the frt track bar this way.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by medbender
start your jeep and have someone get in and move the steering wheel back and fourth as hard /fast as they can and climb under grabbing all the components feeling for play in any parts. I found a bad heim joint in the frt track bar this way.
That's a great suggestion.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

DW Fans-
I witnessed a guy in an Unlimited having this issue today east of Pittsburgh on the parkway. I was behind him, and I though for sure those front wheels were comming off. I thought maybe his lugs weren't tight. As he pulled to the shoulder it stopped, and then he proceeded.

More at 11...
Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Junkie

I got the dw last week coming home from work and it was the first time i had someone pull up beside me and comment on what they saw. Same thing they told me to check my front tire. I think they were a little freaked out.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:41 AM
JK Freak

I installed my lower control arms and set the caster and it has not happened since.I hope I have it fixed.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

That's comforting to hear. I installed the AEV 3" kit a week ago and handles outstandingly. That is, until I hit the right bump on the interstate at 75mph. Felt like I was trying to re-enter the earth's atmoshere at the wrong angle in a jeep. Should have seen the traffic part away from me on the interstate. I have ordered lower adjustable control arms and will check the track bar. Hopefully this'll get it. I think Ace Ventura said it best, "I'm looking for Ray Finkle (substitute death wobble solution)... and a clean pair of shorts."
Old 01-24-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by medbender
Best to make sure this person doesn't have any bones to pick, isn't the beneficiary of any life insurance policies and most of all doesn't suspect you of cheating on them.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that leaves the wife out

Quick Reply: what is the death wobble??