Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what is the death wobble??

Old 01-04-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<--just found out that my trackbar bushings are slowing going bad. The first 22-25 miles ok after that can NOT due over 40mph. Might be partly caused by the bend wheels i have also but new ones comming tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default now i got it!

experianced the death wobble today. climbed underneath and everything looked good. I re- torqued the upper and lower control arms and made sure the track bar was tight and the brackets sound. after all that, it did it agian. I have about 14,000 miles on my lift and never had a problem. what do I check next?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a adj. trackdar up front and then I ordered Currie front lower adj. control arms to get the caster correct.There are a couple threads on this but wayoflife knows a lot about the death wobble so you might check them out.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Q: What is 'death wobble'?
A: Not to be confused with a really 'bad shimmy' in the steering wheel, death wobble is a violent, uncontrollable shaking of your entire Jeep that can lead to a collision. Typically, death wobble can be triggered after hitting a bump in the road or going over rough surfaces like rail road tracks.

Q: What are common causes of 'death wobble'?
A: While loose suspension or steering components, a toe-in setting that is off or even unbalanced tires can 'instigate' death wobble, it has been my experience that death wobble can ONLY occur if you have a problem with your front track bar. Specifically, track bar bolts that are not properly tightend to the appropriate toque setting will allow death wobble to occur as would worn out track bar bushings, track bar mounting holes that have been wollowed out or track bar mounts that are fatigued and/or are failing. Essentially, anything that would allow your front track bar to shift around or move can and will cause death wobble. A steering stabilizer that is bad WILL NOT cause death wobble nor would the installation of a heavy duty unit fix it.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by cub23
I put a adj. trackdar up front and then I ordered Currie front lower adj. control arms to get the caster correct.There are a couple threads on this but wayoflife knows a lot about the death wobble so you might check them out.
I have both of those things to install. Has it stopped?

I had dw today and a guy in another car saw it, told me I need to check my front tire. I have always wondered what it looks like on the outside.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Death Wobble, for me it was so violent I couldn’t see out of the front window. Had to pull over and check myself. Couldn’t drive the jeep over 35mph or it would come back. For me I replaced the front hubs and all the ball joints. Had the front end aligned and replaced all four tires. It’s been good ever since.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DW can also be caused by wheel weights no being correct or missing and also bent steel rims+ mud or snow pack on the inside of rims.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:55 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SAXON
Death Wobble, for me it was so violent I couldn’t see out of the front window. Had to pull over and check myself. Couldn’t drive the jeep over 35mph or it would come back. For me I replaced the front hubs and all the ball joints. Had the front end aligned and replaced all four tires. It’s been good ever since.
ball joints that are really bad can allow for enough slop to instigate DW. being that so many people have bad ball joints already, this is something that should be looked at.

Originally Posted by jkkat
DW can also be caused by wheel weights no being correct or missing and also bent steel rims+ mud or snow pack on the inside of rims.
actually, both of those things will cause your wheels to be out of balance that will just cause a really bad shimmy at worst. if you have other suspension/steering issues like a track bar mount that is failing, this can instigate DW but it will not be the cause of it.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Walking down the Grand Canyon trail after 5 shots of Patron tequilla
Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
Walking down the Grand Canyon trail after 5 shots of Patron tequilla
Dude you can still walk?

Quick Reply: what is the death wobble??