Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what is the death wobble??

Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the death wobble??

what exactly is the death wobble i have read about it but i dont know if i can really relate to it
Old 12-08-2008, 06:23 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

from the FAQ:

Q: What is 'death wobble'?
A: Not to be confused with a really 'bad shimmy' in the steering wheel, death wobble is a violent, uncontrollable shaking of your entire Jeep that can lead to a collision. Typically, death wobble is triggered when slowing down quickly from higher speeds and going over rough surfaces like rail road tracks and is often caused by installation error such as a track bar that has not be tightened to the appropriate torque setting, other loose suspension or steering components, or toe-in setting that is off. Death Wobble IS NOT typically a problem associated with the design or construction of aftermarket components.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...90&postcount=7

however, i should add that a track bar mount that is failing will cause death wobble as well.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Death Wobble simulation

Put you hands in front of you at the 10 and 2 O'clock positions. Now with as much energy and speed as you can muster move your hands twards you and away from you 2 inches in each direction. (NOT left and right) When you reach the point in which your whole upper body is shaking violently you have successfully simulated a death wobble.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Put you hands in front of you at the 10 and 2 O'clock positions. Now with as much energy and speed as you can muster move your hands twards you and away from you 2 inches in each direction. (NOT left and right) When you reach the point in which your whole upper body is shaking violently you have successfully simulated a death wobble.
that is an excellent way of demonstrating. it is so true
Old 12-08-2008, 11:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you ever experience it , you WILL know immediately !!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by juicehammer
that is an excellent way of demonstrating. it is so true

I had lots of practice when my steering stabilizer went bad after 30 thousand miles. Even though most of those miles were on pavement.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpecWar
I had lots of practice when my steering stabilizer went bad after 30 thousand miles. Even though most of those miles were on pavement.
Holy crap, I hope I never get to practice this!! I'm just a tiny gal... Not good!!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, uh, 7.2 earthquake created by your car, and you're in the driver seat. "BRAKES!!!!!!!!!"

"%^$&ING SCARY"
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

quite possibly the most terrorizing thing that can happen when your doing 70 on a two lane
Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

towards you and away from you? you mean as in like forward and back or a punching action? because if that is what you mean, no, i don't believe this would be death wobble.

if you were to see your jeep experiencing death wobble from the outside, you would see your entire front axle shift side to side while your tires violently turned drastically left and right. from the drivers perspective, your entire jeep will feel like it's tearing itself apart and this will continue until you pretty much come to a stop.

so you know, a bad steering stabilizer WILL NOT cause death wobble. at best, it can only mask whatever is allowing it to occur.

Quick Reply: what is the death wobble??