Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is the deal with Duratrac???

Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoFunRich
How do the Coopers do in snow?
Never run a set, but there's a guy on this forum that lives in Revelstoke, BC (that is some SERIOUS snow country) and he loves his Coopers.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I drive in heavy snow lots in Newfoundland, I have a dedicated set of winter tires. I think the wide block of any mud terrain is no good in snow and ice.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by borrongo
Duratrac
OP: I got your PM with the ZIP, but you failed to mention the tire size. If its a 285/70-17 you're looking for I found 6 available less than 5 miles from me.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have driven in a Jeep with the STT Cooper. They were pretty nice. Climbed like a mule in Florida Muck
Old 10-10-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stepsride
I have driven in a Jeep with the STT Cooper. They were pretty nice. Climbed like a mule in Florida Muck
The ST was the tire being mentioned, not the STT (different category.) The STTs have a tendency to cup if you're not 110% spot-on with rotations and balance, moreso than other MT tires. Definitely work decently off-road though.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually the st maxx are classified as a mt.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went to a local tire shop today and they recommended the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM, which comes with the jeep, but I can get them in 35....I also went to a second tire shop and they recommended the Procomp XTREME A/T....so many choices and I do not want to wait!!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
Actually the st maxx are classified as a mt.
Not sure who told you that, but its incorrect. Both the ST and ST Maxx are classified the same as the Duratrac: Light-Duty Commercial Traction. That's direct from the Cooper factory rep and off their website. Even their STT isn't classified as a MT (they call it a "high-void off-road traction tire"). That said, who cares as long as they get the job done?

Originally Posted by borrongo
I went to a local tire shop today and they recommended the BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM, which comes with the jeep, but I can get them in 35....I also went to a second tire shop and they recommended the Procomp XTREME A/T....so many choices and I do not want to wait!!!!!
BFG KM2s are great tires. I run them myself and will continue to do so, especially if they do a 10.5" wide version of the 35 in them. The Cooper ST Maxx would be a great choice, and the Goodyear Duratrac is well loved for good reason. My only complaint on the Duratrac is the sidewall, however since it sounds like you'll be doing mainly DD duty and light off-roading I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. I'd strongly suggest finding the one that has easiest availability in your area, most likely either the Goodyear or the BFG. Cooper does tend to be more readily available in the northern states as well (one of a few reasons I went with BFG).
Old 10-11-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking for 315/70/17

Originally Posted by mdnky
OP: I got your PM with the ZIP, but you failed to mention the tire size. If its a 285/70-17 you're looking for I found 6 available less than 5 miles from me.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

315/70-17 went on nationwide backorder around the 1st of September. There's no date for production, which means the wait will be months. They're focusing on the sizes that sell the most first, so 35s are at the back of the line. Cooper hasn't released the ST Maxx in a 35 yet, so I'd say the best bet is grab a set of BFG KM2s and get the center tread sipped.

Quick Reply: What is the deal with Duratrac???