Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what could it be?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

set ebrake have someone put it in drive with full pressure on brake pedal and give it some gas listen to the underside of the motor to see if any tapping / clapping sound. If so get it to the dealer. (drive slow or tow). might be a bad rod. I had to have my shortblock replaced and heads rebuilt (dealers fault not mine) Wrong oil will cause problems with the motor. However you would hear this sound at idle and driving if it is a bad rod.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running 10w30 instead of 5w20 would make no differnce in your engine. Matter of fact it make it run smoother. Now the milky diff fluid... Bad thing! I would open up the diff and using brake alot of brake cleaner, clean it all out and inspect everything for wears or damage. If it all looks fine put the cover back on and fill her up.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the guy who noticed that the wrong oil was used and how he could tell????? I have no idea other than he said he has been doing this for 30 something years...he's an old fart..but low and behold I called the last place that I had it done at and asked about the last service I had and they pulled it up and sure as *#$% they used 10w30...and as far as the diff oil....I griped long enough and the manager gave me all my money back for the oil change and also for the 2 diff changes...guess he really couldn't say anything when I showed him the bottle of fluid that the old man gave me that came out of them......ANYWAYS..about the stupid knocking I was hearing...I am almost embarassed to say what it was...I put some rubi rails on Friday night and I guess I didn't notice it while driving around that night (music too loud I suppose)...but I have xenon flares on and I still have the inner fender liners in the fender wells...well..the bottom of the damn liner was bumping the rubi rails..on both sides and thats what was making the damn noise. I trimmed them and drove around for over an hour and no knocking..I even took my shoe off thinking that I just couldn't feel it..but it's all gone...Crazy Crazy Thanks for all the help and advice guys...I was going nuts...atleast I already got the OK from the wifey to get some new TOM WOODS before I found the problem...

Quick Reply: what could it be?