Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is the cost to re-gear both axles?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gears are VERY easy to install however they take alot of time and knowledge to install them PROPERLY.

I would be VERY weary of someone doing gears on the JK for a couple hundred bucks, while shops charge over 1000 and some even charge over 1500. I know shops are out to make money but 10 times as much??? A friend of mine has a automotive fabrication shop and he does almost everything. He doesn't mess with gears because he says it takes a long time to do right and it is very easy to screw up. Many automotive fanatics say to have your gears done by a shop that just deals with transmissions and differentials.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres nothing wrong with a guy not charging a ton of money, it all depends on where you live.

A shop can charge $1000 to install gears that doesnt mean they know what the hell they are doing. You just have to research the shop before you have them regear your jk. The guy that installed mine is known in the industry. He just doesnt charge his club member an arm leg and a nut to regear jeeps.

If he asked me to pay $1000 to regear my jeep, i wouldnt hesitate to pay him.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by livin
Do those of you who have swapped your gears still ride on the highway? Are you turning ridiculously high rpm's cruising at highway speeds?

Thanks,
Jacob
i've also been wondering this as well....anybody out there have an answer for this?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Super Freak

mine is in the shop now getting 5:13's so i dont know yet from experience. in other threads everyone says that it does not turn rediculous rpms. i should get my machine back thursday or friday. ill let you know what i think then for sure.

corey d
Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Freak

I just had 5.13s installed ($1,500) with 35"tires. I turn about 2500 rpm at 70 mph. I also bought the Procal Programmer from Northridge to reset the speedometer. It helped the shift points in the transmission.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
mine is in the shop now getting 5:13's so i dont know yet from experience. in other threads everyone says that it does not turn rediculous rpms. i should get my machine back thursday or friday. ill let you know what i think then for sure.

corey d
it is not nearly as high RPM'd as you would think.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Jedi Master

its just a shade under 3,000 rpms at 75 mph hour with 5.13's and 35's.

the JK loves running at this RPM, it's the sweet spot

Quick Reply: What is the cost to re-gear both axles?