Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is the cost to re-gear both axles?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant remember but some guy on here in NJ had his front n rears done @ OK auto and they charged a shade over $2000 which was parts , labor, thats a hellofa lot of mula , it seems living on the east coast sucks again.... the west coast has all the great wheeling and all the great 4x4 shops.....trying to convince the wife to "GO WEST" but.......im gettin divorced!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks everyone.... this has been interesting... looks like it is safe to say this could cost on average around 2 grand.

Do those of you who have swapped your gears still ride on the highway? Are you turning ridiculously high rpm's cruising at highway speeds?

Thanks,
Jacob
Old 03-02-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
im taking mine to a shop today. im supplying the superior gears and ARB lockers and they are charging me 900 for the intall. aint too many places to shop around in my area. another shop quoted me 2200 to supply and install yukon gears. yeah, thats right......TWENTY TOO HUNDRED...

corey d
2200??? Did you tell um your face wasn't THAT stupid???
Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
2200??? Did you tell um your face wasn't THAT stupid???

it wasnt long after thay said 2200 that they didnt see my stupid face. i spun around and they then gazed upon my stupid ass strolling out the door.....

corey d
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE
it wasnt long after thay said 2200 that they didnt see my stupid face. i spun around and they then gazed upon my stupid ass strolling out the door.....

corey d
lmfao!!!

I think you should ask how much for labor only. Tell them you already have the gears. They want to make money on the parts and labor, so get the parts ahead of time and take that from them.

Northridge has yukon sets for 499 still, I checked. get that and some pinion bearings. I found 2 shops here that would do the labor for 550. so that plus parts is under 1200 for sure. maybe under 1100.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just called Randy's Ring and Pinion, they are local to me... and asked what install would be on a new jeep... I was quoted 1600 for parts and labor... woo hoo... .looks like it won't be too out of reach... now I just gotta figure out if I want 488 or 513's. I plan to run 35's for the first several years... and then when those wear out.. I will probably toss on 37's... or not.... I am building my rigg for high performance on the island where I live... gravel and dirt roads.... I am not too concerned with building her for rock climbing.. as I doubt I would do much.

Thanks,
Jacob

thanks!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

You guys in California are lucky from that respect. I too am quoted $2000 for parts and labor where I live. I would have to drive 6 to 8 hours to get to a city where it would be cheaper. I bought the gears from David today and will just pay the labor. I am thinking it is good idea to replace the front driveshaft at the same time so the new yoke can be installed and set up correctly at that time. I have the typical torn boot from the automatic. I would really like to do the rear driveshaft also, but that will never get past the wife!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

How important is it do you guys think to get a warranty on the install and parts? From the 2 places I have talked to, it see if you provide your own gears and hardware, no warranty whats so ever, but if you pay their premium, you get 1year warranty on both parts and labor.... but its like $300 more
Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by REL1203
How important is it do you guys think to get a warranty on the install and parts? From the 2 places I have talked to, it see if you provide your own gears and hardware, no warranty whats so ever, but if you pay their premium, you get 1year warranty on both parts and labor.... but its like $300 more
well superior warranty is 2 years. So you get a better warranty on parts from them. I would ask the shop if they are not willing to stand behind their work just because you cannot pay an extra $300 mark up on parts? Sounds kinda shady to me. I am sure yukon has a similar guarantee to superior. Sounds like if you let that shop put them in you automatically lose a year of warranty anyway.

I would keep shopping and use a shop that is willing to stand behind their labor at least as long as the manufacturer warranties their parts.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm getting gears installed( i have the gears) frt locker(buying from them), evo c- gussets welded, frt skids welded(have these also) for $1847, thats tax included, I think it's fair, being that they built 120 jk's last year in my area. I'm paying $1000 for labor on the gears. Rest is for the locker, welding c-gussets and skids, Bringin it in on the 9th, Gonna be without my baby for 4 days

Quick Reply: What is the cost to re-gear both axles?