Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What control arms are necessary?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What control arms are necessary?

Purchased a lift kit with just shocks and springs, no control arms. Do i need to purchase all 8 control arms? just the rear and front lowers? Front lowers and rear uppers?
Old 02-28-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikepov
Purchased a lift kit with just shocks and springs, no control arms. Do i need to purchase all 8 control arms? just the rear and front lowers? Front lowers and rear uppers?
need to know what lift you bought? What lift height?
Old 02-28-2014, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

^^^^
What he said.
The progression is cheap lift, no arms
Better lift, all four lowers,
Then all eight arms.
There's other options, but you can get by with just springs on a 2.5 lift, anything more you need more. Even on a 2" lift, arms and both track bars will make you happier. Jmo.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What you 'need' will depend on your build and your budget and your opinion.

Upper and lower do basically the same thing. If you only get one set up front, you would either lengthen the lower, or shorten the upper, to raise the caster. If you only got one set for the rear, you would either lengthen the upper, or shorten the lower, to raise the pinion.

The second set of arms for either end allows you to fine tune, and to move the entire axle forward/backward in the wheel well.

Uppers may be a bit less expensive. Lowers are beefier than stock, which may be a good thing if you plan on smacking them on rocks. Extending an adjustable arm may give a bit more adjustablity over shortening. Extending may also give a minute amount of added wheelbase.

General consensus is that lowers are the better option if you only get one set up front. For the rear, some vote for uppers for the better adjustability, some vote for lowers for the added beefiness.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:19 AM
JK Newbie

I got a 3.5 inch skyjacker with 35s
Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also have to skyjacker 2.5 on my Sahara with 295/70/18's, love it....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3256826604.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	534488   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2886532715.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	534489  
Old 03-02-2014, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikepov
Need an alignment and a visual on wheelbase. Did right though just buying the coils and shocks to start. Might be okay using fixed length. Definitely have more work in front of you.

Quick Reply: What control arms are necessary?