Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Control Arm Skids?

Old 03-29-2015, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Anyone have the Mountain Goat Series skids from Spohn?

http://www.spohn.net/shop/Jeep-JK-Wr...id-Plates.html
Hmm, looks like a lot of nuts and bolts to worry about. IDK....
Old 03-29-2015, 04:26 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have the Mountain Goat Series skids from Spohn?

http://www.spohn.net/shop/Jeep-JK-Wr...id-Plates.html
They look exactly like the Skid Row versions....

Skid Row Offroad JP-5008 - Skid Row Offroad Front Lower Control Arm Skid Plates for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 03-29-2015, 05:06 PM
JK Junkie

I have Rock Krawler control arms and need to make sure any skid I put on them will allow me access to the grease fitting on the joint. Do any of these skids allow access to the zerk? One of the guys that has done some welding for me is quite a ways away. Awesome welder, nicest guy, but he's a busy with a young family. I'm sure he would do it if I asked, because that's how he is, but I don't have much to offer him in return, so I am reluctant to take advantage of his generosity.
I wouldn't worry about grease fittings. Modify whatever skid you want. Hole saw, grinder, etc. That's an easy fix.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

^^^ Yep what he said. And when your good like me you can just brake your zerk fitting off and not have to worry about greasing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3268423926.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	603929  
Old 03-30-2015, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the guys that has done some welding for me is quite a ways away. Awesome welder, nicest guy, but he's a busy with a young family. I'm sure he would do it if I asked, because that's how he is, but I don't have much to offer him in return, so I am reluctant to take advantage of his generosity.
Sounds like a pretty cool guy. Haha. Thanks for the kind words(assuming this is me).

The fronts are easy. Get the Artec ones and the usual form of payment and we can knock it out.

For the rear you need to decide if you want to relocate the shocks or not. Keep in mind that if you do, you will need to change your bump stop and possibly shock lengths. If you don't plan to relocate I would go with the bolt on Rough Country ones. Cheap, and will get the job done.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, Ringer. I ordered the ones from Spohn this morning. When they get here, I'll take a look at them and see if I will install them. They're 1/4" steel.

I don't mind cutting and grinding, and I wasn't sure if my shocks would have to be relocated if I went with EVO Rockstar skids, which adds more to the cost, of course.

I should have them by Thursday. If they look alright, I might install them before heading out to SOR on Friday.

P.S. Still haven't fixed that track bar bolt. But I have a new bushing, so if I have to burn it out, I can rebuild the joint.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have those and they do work with the Rock Krawler control arms.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Skidrow lower control arm skids on the front. I just installed them so no report on durability yet. I can say that I did smack the factory mounts a couple times prior to installation, so these are a great addition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2876197698.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	604103
Old 03-30-2015, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ringer
Sounds like a pretty cool guy. Haha. Thanks for the kind words(assuming this is me).

The fronts are easy. Get the Artec ones and the usual form of payment and we can knock it out.
Oh, and yes, I was referring to you. But I figure I'll hold out until I get C Gussets and a truss and take you up on your offer then. If I came to you with everything I wanted, you'd have to buy a bigger fridge and I'd have spent all my Jeep parts money on milk stout.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks like I am going to go a different route.

Ordered these from Spohn Performance on Monday. They are 1 state away, so I figure I would check to see if I could get them and install them before the weekend. I was assured by the customer service rep they would go out on Tuesday.

They didn't.

On Wednesday, they then told me they were being boxed at that moment and they would go out the same day.

They didn't.

So now they won't show up until Saturday. But I will already be on the trails, so they do me no good this month.

So they are going back as soon as they send me a return shipping label. I am no longer interested in doing business with someone that misleads and lies to me.

Back to the drawing board. I'm considering the EVO Rockstars for the rears now but I am concerned I will end up bottoming out my shocks and have to spend more money relocating the upper shock mount.

My rear shocks are Bilstein 5100s (24-146715). Anyone have any direct knowledge if I will need to relocate?

Quick Reply: What Control Arm Skids?