Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Control Arm Skids?

Old 03-27-2015, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What Control Arm Skids?

Looking to add lower control arm skids, front and rear.

I'm likely to go bolt on, since welding them is not something I have the skill or equipment to do. And I'm not one to ask too many favors from my welder buddy.

So, with that, I'm looking to hear about the good, bad and ugly of bolt on lower control arm skids.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

rugged ridge ones work fine. I have been to Moab 3X with mine and played in plenty of rocks and they have held up well and easy to install.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Rugged Ridge bolt on rears they work great. Don't know about bolt on fronts. That being said
I have EVO weld on ones for front and rear I'm going to do soon since I'm into the welding addiction thing
Now....lol
Old 03-27-2015, 07:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several people in your area that can weld! CA skids take no time at all to weld on. Prep the metal and swing by someone's place and you'll be all set in 20 min. If you were near me, I'd do it pro bono no problem.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:34 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the rebel off-road grinders for the rears. No welding required and unlike the others, you don't need to buy/use shock relocation brackets for the top mounts. You will need to cut/grind though...
Old 03-28-2015, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running the EVO RockStar rear control arm skid/shock mount relocation. Gives you an extra 1 1/2" clearance back there, now my rears almost never hit. You need to cut and grind, but no welding. Until now I haven't had fron control arm skids, but they haven't hit anything yet, surprisingly, but I'm having the front axle trussed, which includes control arm skids. I don't have a welder either, but the front bolt on options didn't look very strong to me. Even if you had to pay someone to weld them on, shouldn't be too costly.
I know that if you put a feeler out in "that other forum" or this one someone will offer up their services for a few brews.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would find someone to weld locally. I'd do it for you for free just cause I'm always looking for an excuse to weld :-)

I've been eyeballin' the artec front skids. Seems like they cover a little further back over the joint by the pics I've seen.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently put the rugged ridge bolt on front n rear (got a great deal from Ryan from extreme terrain). Front was a pain to install but not hard.

Haven't been off road to test it since but feel much more confident. I had some scuffs on the rear, and now they're protected. Btw, I do more easy to mild off-roading few times a year.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I have Rock Krawler control arms and need to make sure any skid I put on them will allow me access to the grease fitting on the joint. Do any of these skids allow access to the zerk?

One of the guys that has done some welding for me is quite a ways away. Awesome welder, nicest guy, but he's a busy with a young family. I'm sure he would do it if I asked, because that's how he is, but I don't have much to offer him in return, so I am reluctant to take advantage of his generosity.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Anyone have the Mountain Goat Series skids from Spohn?

http://www.spohn.net/shop/Jeep-JK-Wr...id-Plates.html

Quick Reply: What Control Arm Skids?