Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is considered best programing unit majority votes?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is considered best programing unit majority votes?

I just lifted and upped my tires to 35", my speedo of course is off, but this is not as much of my concern as the change in millage per gallon. I have automatic unlimited Rubi. I also hear that I need to adjust my speed change points

Things I hope to change with programmer (in the order highest to lowest of concers):
1. up the millage per gallon
2. recalibrate proper gear change points in tranny
3. increase power
4. adjust speedo to bigger tires

Things I would be looking in programmer:
1. Be able to do all or majority of the items above
2. Ease of programming
3. Stealthy mod, meaning dealership can't detect it or if needed being able to reflash my PC back to stock and than re-program it back to modded program
4. Price.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:29 PM
JK Freak

Superchip Flashpaq

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=43002

Features include:
Number one engine and model coverage in the industry
Greater increases in torque, horsepower and drivability
Works with most cold air intake and cat-back exhaust kits
Faster 1/4 mile & 0-60 times
Calibrate speedometer, odometer & shift points for tire and gear ratios
Monitor and record driving & vehicle performance with data logging
Adjustable shift points, firmness, speed and engine rev limiter
Real time vehicle sensor display
Check ignition timing and fluid temperatures.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Superchips is the most popular. A quick search will bring up about a bazillion threads on it.
Diablo is shipped with both the Ripp and Avenger S/C's, as it is more capable where custom tunes are concerned.
Hypertech has a small but loyal following.

They will all do what you want, and nobody can tell you which of them 'you' will think is the best. Browse their websites and do some searches. The button is in the upper right corner.

If you want the least invasive, get the ProCal. It is a programmer, with no tuning whatsoever.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree, superchips is what i went with

also just as a side note, i had my lift and tires (35s) on for a couple weeks before my programmer came in and my mechanic told me to be sure my ESP was turned off until i could reprogram the ECU

Last edited by Otari; 03-15-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Which one would be more price oriented (read cheaper) and have following trades:
2. Ease of programming
3. Stealthy mod, meaning dealership can't detect it or if needed being able to reflash my PC back to stock and than re-program it back to modded program
Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

X2 I need the answer too, I have the same setup. JKU rubicon automatic w/35 inch tires. I need more mpg
Old 03-16-2011, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by SFBayArea
Which one would be more price oriented (read cheaper) and have following trades:
2. Ease of programming
As noted above, you should really browse their websites so you have a clue what they all do, which will give you some frame of reference for the advice you are getting.

The ProCal is the cheapest, the easiest to use, and is the least invasive. It is a programmer (not a tuner) that uses simple dipswitches. It has a lot of functionality for a decent price, and is the best fit for these requirements. (though not the ones in your first post?)

But, note that there is no such thing as a 'stealthy' way to change your computer. The dealer can and will know that something was changed with all of these programmers/tunerss, even if they can't tell exactly what was changed. If you are afraid of the dealer knowing that you screwed with the computer ... don't.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, any tuner/programmer needs to be removed before you bring it to the dealer for service. IF they find that you have programmed your computer, they could give you warranty issues, however, the biggest issue is if they flash your computer with an update and you still have your tune installed. It will basically render your programmer useless since it won't be able to recognize your computer next time you hook it up. Will cost $$ to have it unlocked by the programmer company.

As far as MPG, whatever you thing you are getting now, it is not accurate unless you are manually calculating it based on some other mesaure besides your odmoeter. Since your speedo is off, you mileage is off which means your mpg calculations are off.

Using a Procal unit to adjust your speedo will give you better mpg numbers because everything will be back in line. And using a Superchips or Hypertech will give you minimal increases (1 to 2 mpg if you are lucky). It's all about how you drive the thirsty 3.8. With a tune installed, I find my mpg sufferes because I am heavier on the foot with the better response.....

But, if you were to choose a tuner that does eveything out of the box, the Superchips probably offer the most of what you are looking for. The Hypertech is missing a few features like TPMS diable but it is still a good programmer.

I've used all 3 programmers/tuners I mentioned and I have only kept the Superchips because it has met all my needs. With that said, some people report pinging issues in their engines when running Superchips so I suggest you read through that thread (just search Superchips Pininging).
Old 03-16-2011, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

After reading all of the above I think I will leave it as is and not mess with it.
I though, since the shifting points are different with 35" tires the programmer will help me increase my milage significantly by changing those shifting points. However, if it is indeed 1-2mls/gal at best than I guess I'll leave it as is.

Last edited by SFBayArea; 03-16-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf

But, note that there is no such thing as a 'stealthy' way to change your computer. The dealer can and will know that something was changed with all of these programmers/tunerss, even if they can't tell exactly what was changed. If you are afraid of the dealer knowing that you screwed with the computer ... don't.
Not true.

If you flash it back to stock the dealer has no way of detecting that it had a tune on it.

Quick Reply: What is considered best programing unit majority votes?