Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Color Are Most Bumpers Powdercoated?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Color Are Most Bumpers Powdercoated?

Hey guys ...

Looking at getting my new front bumper powder coated as Im getting it raw from the manufacture. My question is what is the standard color most of the other bumpers come in.

There are following blacks that seem to be popular:

-Semi Gloss Black
-Flat Black
-Textured Black (kind of like stock the stock bumper)
-Hammered Black

All those of you with aftermarket bumper what color is yours???

Reason I dont want to just any color is because I would like to do a roof rack as well, and Im not sure the company Im getting the front bumper from will do a rear as its a prototype.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's pretty much personal preference. I went with semi gloss on my JCR

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140411_171259.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	554810

Most companies that send out bumpers, racks and such already done usually use textured black
Old 05-22-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figure out what rear bumper you want and which rack and contact the manufacturer and see. Best way to do it really
Old 05-22-2014, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by M3This
Hey guys ...

Looking at getting my new front bumper powder coated as Im getting it raw from the manufacture. My question is what is the standard color most of the other bumpers come in.

There are following blacks that seem to be popular:

-Semi Gloss Black
-Flat Black
-Textured Black (kind of like stock the stock bumper)
-Hammered Black

All those of you with aftermarket bumper what color is yours???

Reason I dont want to just any color is because I would like to do a roof rack as well, and Im not sure the company Im getting the front bumper from will do a rear as its a prototype.

I've been doing my own powder coating for a cpl of years now. (smalls) I am wanting to upgrade to a larger oven so I can do bumpers or bike frames ect. It is very easy and really affordable to do as well. (nothing bigger than the size of a wheel) If it fits in your kitchen oven you can powder coat it. I use my toaster oven on real small parts.

That being said, as someone already stated, it is a personal preference. If you go high gloss you will be able to see every flaw if you scratch it or dent it. Semi-gloss is used a lot… Kind of an in between, flatter black hides nick and scratches better. A matted black is probably even better if you tend to off-road much. If you ding it up, you can always just use some touch up paint, and you probably won’t ever see where you dinged it up again.

You have hundreds of colors choices to choose from. They even have glow in the dark powder coat.

Last edited by SteveLNew; 05-23-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

From what I have seen many large manufacturers use either a 40% gloss black or textured black powdercoat. ARB uses a 60% gloss powdercoat.

Quick Reply: What Color Are Most Bumpers Powdercoated?