Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is this? It came with my winch.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
I came with my Superwinch LP8500.
Next the the copper posts, it says "BAT" and has an empty hole for the terminal, and it has a nut on the other end for the cable. I just don't know if I need it, and if it goes on the power or the ground.
i would call superwinch and see what they say
Old 06-06-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like some sort of fuseable link to me. Its purpose is to actually melt and break the circuit if it happens to get overloaded and get hot. Odd thing to have on a winch set up. Especially under the hood directly connected to the battery pos. teminal.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just 2 cents worth. First thing that crossed my mind is also fuseable link.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Freak

This part came with my winch. Do I attach it to the battery and the power cable? The instructions don't say anything about it.

That's obviously a flux capacitor, sheesh don't you guys know anything?

Here is what it looks like once you install it.

Just don't get your Jeep up to 88 mph after you install it or this could happen.

God knows where you'll end up.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
If you ever do, you know you're prepared. Seriously though, those are not fuses. They're circuit breakers. One side is for battery and the other side is for.....well.....whatthehellever. Why it came with your winch is really a mystery. None of them would be enough to hold all the amperage of the winch....not even all of them together.
redneck is right. well the part about the circuit breaker, not the flux capacitor. lol. You attach one side to the batt. the other to the pos winch wire. One small spot redneck is wrong on is the capacity of it not being enough. With them all in parallel like that you have to add the amperage capacity of each breaker. so if they are all 50amp and there are 3 breakers on that strip, then the whole unit breaks at 150. If it is (1) 50 and (2) 30s, add it all up and you have a 110 amp breaker.

The way that they designed that thing is odd. It leaves a lot that can arc on something. Make sure that where you put it there is no metal or wires for it to bump. Those plates and bolts will all be hot, so keep them away form anything. If you can put the whole thing over the plastic top of the battery, it would be a good start, IMO. Good luck!

BTW, what do the individual breakers have stamped on them?

Last edited by bigbluejk; 06-07-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely circuit breakers. See this article for more information:

off-roadweb.com/tech/0803or_superwinch_x_s_series_trailer_winch/index.html

Or here to buy a replacement:

store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SPW-8932332
Old 06-07-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Freak

I am woundering if you already have one in that little black box and the guys during assembly just dumped it in your box just to get rid of the darn thing
Old 06-08-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK08Mc's
I am woundering if you already have one in that little black box and the guys during assembly just dumped it in your box just to get rid of the darn thing
There isnt one in the solenoid box (I know, I have had mine apart A LOT due to the fact that I added my own wireless BOX and relocated my solenoids to in the engine compartment.) It is a CCT Break/Fuse. It also came with my 8500. It is in the instructions that you mount in on the pos side. I have also seen guys run without them. I have mine mounted and there are no arcing issues.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This part came with my winch. Do I attach it to the battery and the power cable? The instructions don't say anything about it.

is it a 12000# winch or bigger wich might make it a 24 volt / 12 volt adaptor
Old 06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JMP8562
is it a 12000# winch or bigger wich might make it a 24 volt / 12 volt adaptor
that would be a step up or step down transformer. It isn't that. Explained what it is above.

Quick Reply: What is this? It came with my winch.