Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What was BFG thinking?

Old 01-26-2009, 01:56 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stuka
Well, part of the reason is that you have a 17" wheel with only a 33" tire. That leaves very little side wall. Unless you have 35's or larger, generally a 15" wheel is best for a 33. But even a 16" gives you a half inch more sidewall.
You're right but it's a trade-off between increased lateral roll on-road and more rubber off-road and these days the on/off split is about 90/10. In a few years when the minivan motor can't cut it any longer I'll start looking for a Grand Cherokee organ donor, drop the Hemi in and go with 35" tires. By then I really won't care about the rims but they won't have KM2's on them either. Don't get me wrong, I love the original KM's on my CJ and they've been through hell and back plus made the ride to ME and CO on pavement (yes, I'm insane ). They're quiet and smooth compared to the new version. They seem to be made of a harder compound which means they don't stick to the rocks as good as the new tire but they also wear much longer. IMO the original is a better all-around tire for several reasons.

Quick Reply: What was BFG thinking?