Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What was BFG thinking?

Old 01-25-2009, 04:52 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What was BFG thinking?

The old KM and even the AT have a lip that protects the edge of the rim from damage but not the new and improved KM2

This weekend was the JK's first real test on some challenging trails and the rocks got a few licks on the AEV rims. It doesn't take much. No major damage but most of it would have been avoided if the KM2 had the same lip the old design has. Time for the touch-up paint.

Other issues:

I'll be making the mod to gain 2wd low - even unlocked it's tough snaking through the trees on narrow trails in 4wd.

My front axle is making an intermittent clunking noise (it's not the u-joint caps - I kept an eye on those!) and I can't determine if it's drive train or suspension. (I know - grease everything and crank up the stereo.)

Overall though I was really impressed with what the JK will do. We had another JK Rubicon that was bone stock and we were following trail rigs. Night and day as compared to trail time in my CJ but I do miss the low end torque/power of my injected 258 (sounds and feels like a V8).
Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny i hear alot of people telling me to look athe Pro Comp Xtreme Muds or the Toyo's Beacause of all the little quarks that come with KM2's. No siping and now whatyou have posted. Ive heard from several people that they have puntured side walls on KM2's. One guy sold his off and got the procomps and has had no complaints.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know it is another purchase, but KMC XD Simulated Beadlock Rings aka Rock Rings, also Pro Comp Simulated Beadlock Rings - whichever depending on your wheel design - would do the trick even better, if possible (depending on your wheel)...

Mopar should have thought about this (for stock wheels)!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

I was looking at investing in the KM2s also but I've been hearing things like this lately.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJK
The old KM and even the AT have a lip that protects the edge of the rim from damage but not the new and improved KM2
The rim protector was removed because it made tyres beads leak easier when aired down. If you want to stop rock damage you need some fake locks.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CJK
My front axle is making an intermittent clunking noise (it's not the u-joint caps - I kept an eye on those!) and I can't determine if it's drive train or suspension. (I know - grease everything and crank up the stereo.
Check the front track bar for the noise.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:23 PM
JK Junkie

Well, part of the reason is that you have a 17" wheel with only a 33" tire. That leaves very little side wall. Unless you have 35's or larger, generally a 15" wheel is best for a 33. But even a 16" gives you a half inch more sidewall.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:15 PM
JK Junkie

I have the Pro Comps Extremes and I don't think they have any added protection on the lip, I will have to check.....I also have chipped my AEV Pintlers on the lip on each rim from rocks....oh well, I use my rig for what it is intended for, and love every mintute of it.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

I have a similar click underneath. I am conviced its the shaft, axle shafts or sway bar bushings. I didn't believe it until my dealership showed me and had it up in the air to listen for the click.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:40 PM
CJK
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cyberbrain
I have a similar click underneath. I am conviced its the shaft, axle shafts or sway bar bushings. I didn't believe it until my dealership showed me and had it up in the air to listen for the click.
Did the dealer locate the source?

Quick Reply: What was BFG thinking?