Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is the best option for running a 35" spare without replacing rear bumper?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
35" tire and rim should weigh around 100 lbs and should be no problem for an average sized man. And why would it be dangerous in an accident? I would think a loose 100lb projectile in the back would be way more dangerous than one mounted on the top. Have you ever seen a baja race? They run 100mph with them on the top.
You're right. I failed to take into account that this guy is probably between 25-35 years old and spends regular time in the gym dead-lifting 100+ pound awkward objects 6-12 inches over his head. His wife is also probably equally buff and should have no problem in the event of a flat.

I also failed to recognize that he's building a baja buggy. I'm sure he'll have no problem since he'll have a full roll cage to re-enforce his roof and he'll be driving everywhere in a helmet.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drgreybow
You're right. I failed to take into account that this guy is probably between 25-35 years old and spends regular time in the gym dead-lifting 100+ pound awkward objects 6-12 inches over his head.
With all do respect, I'm 18 weighing only 150 lbs. at 6ft. Toned, but by no means a body builder. I changed all my 35's out yesterday picking them off an overhead rack and didn't struggle with any of it...but I do farm work for a living so I guess I'm used to the labor...don't bash somebody for being in shape though, I respect that discipline.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

IDK about anyone else but mine fit on the factory mount with no problems
Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by h1ker
IDK about anyone else but mine fit on the factory mount with no problems
Mine fit also and its residing on my tailgate as I type this.

But I also realize its only a matter of time until it unfits itself, hence the thread...
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Mine fit also and its residing on my tailgate as I type this.

But I also realize its only a matter of time until it unfits itself, hence the thread...
Same...why fix something that isn't broke :P
Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
is 100 lb really a lot of weight? I mean.... really for a spare tire? mb changed once every 10 years. I am 42 5'9" 185 lbs with a bulging disc in my back and I can do it. These kids today are just a bunch of momma boy woosies. And btw I would never ask a woman to change a tire, ever.
My spare is in my tire rotation, so it gets changed about evey 4-6 months not every 10 years. And the idea of lifting it onto a roof rack is not even close to appealing!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I'll also suggest the Or-Fab Rack. I love mine, and just put a 5 gallon NATO style water and gas cans in it!

You can check it out here-> OR FAB ADAPTER KIT FOR NON LIP GAS CAN For Christmas!
Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 AM
JK Freak

I wouldn't put it on the roof for a few reason
- you just raised your center of gravity big time.
- like mentioned, it's a PITA to put up and down especially if your in muddy conditions.
- if your running 35's, you prob have a lift and stuffing a rack plus another 12.5" of height to your roof will not allow you to park in most garages.

Stuff it in the back with tie downs until you get a carrier. I ran my 35" spare on my gate for over a year with no problems until one day my gate just dropped. The hinges were wallowed out and it's got about an inch of up and down play now. I found this out the day I was installing my or-fab carrier. Go figure

Quick Reply: What is the best option for running a 35" spare without replacing rear bumper?