Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is the best option for running a 35" spare without replacing rear bumper?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is the best option for running a 35" spare without replacing rear bumper?

I'm really hesitant to add the weight and expense of a replacement bumper to carry my spare. Are there any decent options for carrying a 35" spare that don't require a new rear bumper?

The wheel/tire combination I am running is about 98lbs total if it matters...
Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Or-Fab carrier comes to mind. It comes in two models one that carries spare fuel cans and one that sits closer to the tailgate that does not carry cans.

http://www.orfab.com/details.php?App...%20&Active=Yes
Old 01-20-2011, 04:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toymaster
The Or-Fab carrier comes to mind. It comes in two models one that carries spare fuel cans and one that sits closer to the tailgate that does not carry cans.

http://www.orfab.com/details.php?App...%20&Active=Yes
Orfab is looking like a winner! Thanks, that is pretty much what I was looking for. Well, except for the price! But its still going to be a lot cheaper and lighter than a full on bumper so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Your tire weight is exactly the same as mine. I am running 16" blackrock steel (4.25" BS) wheels with 35" Maxxix tires. 98 pounds when I weighed them which was about 20 pounds heavier than my stock Rubi tires. I've had my spare on the stock carrier for just about a year now with no issues. Although, everytime I open my tailgate I am expecting to hear a pop! Just hasn't happened yet. I remember seeing some brackets or something that can be used to reinforce the stock carrier where it bolts to the tailgate. Its been a while so I don't remember who makes it.

I know you don't want to replace the bumper but there are some inexpensive options out there. Rancho makes one that retials for $500 but I'm sure you can get it cheaper by calling Bryan at 4wd or David at Northridge (if he carries them).

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...1&partID=41263
Old 01-20-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Super Freak

I had mine behind my back seat in my Unlimited for atleast 16-18 months. Fit like a glove, it was wedged between the seat and the tail gate. My tailgate was damaged so the stock carrier was making a ton of noise It also increased rear visability and made it harder to steal it.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Build a rack to mount it on the roof.
This is really bad idea in my opinion. Anybody who has 35's or larger knows what a challenge it is just picking up the spare and getting it up on the tailgate or tire swing. Its like being in a strong-man competition. I can't imagine what it would be like trying to get a tire up and down off a roof rack, but it would probably take about 3 people to do it. Not to mention it could be dangerous to have it up there in a crash.

I just put my tire in the back until I could afford a bumper/tire swing combo. A bumper upgrade offers more than just getting the tire off the tailgate. You get tow points, hitch receiver, and the durability of steel.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:27 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by drgreybow

A bumper upgrade offers more than just getting the tire off the tailgate. You get tow points, hitch receiver, and the durability of steel.
And If you go with the lod rear you get backup lights too!

I also just have mine in the back right now. This summer I'm buying the lod fullwidth rear bumper and tire carrier
Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Biginboca
I'm really hesitant to add the weight and expense of a replacement bumper to carry my spare. Are there any decent options for carrying a 35" spare that don't require a new rear bumper?

The wheel/tire combination I am running is about 98lbs total if it matters...
AEV tire carrier and stock bumper. Has anyone done this yet?

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Freak

This is gorgeous, just a bit expensive.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What2 the price on the AEV tire carrier with the stock bumper? It looks pretty good. Is that a hard in stall?

Quick Reply: What is the best option for running a 35" spare without replacing rear bumper?