Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What are best lug nuts to get for 35's

Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason you need new lugs is often because the bore of the lug hole is too small to fit the factory ones on an aftermarket wheel.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .

thanks everyone
Old 02-01-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

The "stonger" lug thing was BS, but the stock lugs that come with your Jeep have some sort of plastic crap cover instead of steel. Mine ended up in the trash after I got a couple stuck and shredded the outside trying to get them off. Good quality all steel lugs are always a good idea, but not because you have bigger tires though.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with McGards Spline Drive 1/2-20 Lugs.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madmike232
I am not buying it I have two broken studs and stock lugs I beat the hell out of my jeep from time to time and don't worried about it. When I worked at Belletire we had a guy come in with 2 studs /lugs per wheel and he was running that for the life of his tires. I would not worry about lugs or studs so much its just hype to make money.
I'll restate that you don't need stronger lugs, partially because having 5 is a form of "safety net". I would still put all 5 on every time to proper torque.

Running without all 5 is compromising the load balance on the studs, which can make them fail sooner. Your wheels coming loose is a quick way to a major wreck. When you have an odd number of studs only running 2 will also leave one side open to leverage, which can sheer off the 2 studs still attached.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I recently talked to a tire shop tech who was a Jeeper. It was his opinion that upgraded lugs were a good idea. He stated that the stock lugs have a thin cosmetic cover over plain ugly steel lugs. He had seen guys break off the cover which left the remaining lug diameter small enough that their lug wrench would strip/spin. If that is true it would suck to be stuck on trail because of something so trivial! For me the modest expense of a Gorilla lug set was worth being sure. Maybe he was full of BS. Since I purchased them online he saw no profit and of was one less thing to wonder/worry about.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm good using Pro Comps black lug nuts.

Quick Reply: What are best lug nuts to get for 35's