Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is the best lift for daily driving??

Old 02-15-2013, 02:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta love opinions
Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK Inspired
Gotta love opinions
They are like taxes and assholes...
Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

For a daily driver keep it low and tire size reasonable. If not, its going to be harder on gas, and harder to handle'
Old 02-15-2013, 06:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A thread from 2009 woke up ?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
A thread from 2009 woke up ?
Good. It means people are using the search feature.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:59 AM
JK Newbie

Default metalcloak lift?

Hey jeepers, any familiar with metalcloak lift kits? Ive got a 2011 jk unlimited and using it for daily driving and some mudding, rarely crawling. I want to fit 35x12.50x 17 under me. I came accross metalcloak and was wondering if anyone has feedback on them. Otherwise im between a 2.5 teraflex or a 3.5 RE. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BeattyJK
Hey jeepers, any familiar with metalcloak lift kits? Ive got a 2011 jk unlimited and using it for daily driving and some mudding, rarely crawling. I want to fit 35x12.50x 17 under me. I came accross metalcloak and was wondering if anyone has feedback on them. Otherwise im between a 2.5 teraflex or a 3.5 RE. Thanks!

I would go with the teraflex. Mainly because of the customer service they provide.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:17 PM
JK Super Freak

I went round and round and have read almost any thread I can find.

There are, as others have said, pros and cons to any lift.

AEV "stinks" because they use drop brackets and charge too much for them.
Rancho uses stronger drop brackets, but perhaps their springs aren't as nice as AEV and no hi-steer.
AEV is better because they have engineered their springs well for a daily driver that does venture into the dirt. They also include a high-steer kit so handling is more like factory.

Rock Krawler's arms are the strongest! (their kits do not include shocks)
TeraFLex's arms are very strong and their customer service is very good.

Again, pros and cons to everything. I'm not a "fan boy" and didn't partake in the "kool-aid." I ultimately; however, decided to go with AEV.

In being realistic, I will not be "hardcore" with this Jeep where the Rock Krawler or TeraFlex arms would shine. I will spend 95% of my time on-road....

The trails I'll run on our yearly trip to Colorado are all "do-able" in a vehicle with 33"+ tires and at least 1 locker.

I chose AEV after having ridden in several lifted Jeeps and for ME, the ride was best with AEV. I drive 900 miles pulling a trailer and have to consider my wife and three daughters, 80lbs golden, and the wife's 15lbs poodle.

If I lived in California, Colorado, Utah, or another state with easy, close, accessible places to wheel...my decision may have been different. In the $1,700 range, including shocks, the AEV seemed like the best value for my needs.

From photographs, it also seems to work well in the rocks and for the type of wheeling I'll do.

While I agree TeraFlex and Rockkrawler and some others may be "tougher" and do better off-road, they just didn't fit my needs.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kojack
I would go with the teraflex. Mainly because of the customer service they provide.
Thanks Kojack!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Former Vendor

Just about every manufacturer mentioned (Teraflex, Rock Krawler, AEV, and Metal Cloak) all provide excellent customer service.

As everyone has mentioned each lift does have its pros and cons. No matter which lift you choose make sure it fits your needs and not what someone else says you need.

One thing that many people seem to over look is the total height of the rig. That is important for a daily driver for a few reasons. 1st reason is because you don't want to ride around in something that is annoying to get in and out of. Picture having to climb and pull yourself into your rig because you went with a 6" lift and 40's LOL. That would be very annoying to get in and out of every day. If you park in a garage or if you go into parking garages fairly regularly then you will want to stay short enough so you don't hit your roof. Don't just think about garage ceiling height but think about the door height. For those of you that work on your own rig how mad would you be if you just finished installing your lift and tires, you snap your pictures and are very satisfied with your build, then you pull out of your garage and hit the door!

Also as you go higher in height then you will lose some stability. The roll center becomes so high that you then need to adjust your driving accordingly.

Most people seem to settle on a 2.5" to 3.5" of lift height on 35's. This seems to work well for daily drivers and definitely holds its own on the trails.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Smashboogie 4x4; 02-20-2013 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the best lift for daily driving??