Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is the best lift for daily driving??

Old 11-04-2009, 03:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
... Plus, Daily driver doesn't necessarily mean safe and most efficient. ...
It's patently obvious that a great many folks on this forum consider gas mileage and vehicle acceleration major factors in the JK's performance, and most especially for a daily driver. He specifically said that he didn't want the answer that was right for an off-roader. He also did not comment that he thought the stock ride was particularly harsh. So, my point was to say that folks who are saying that getting any lift and putting larger tires on and regearing are right for him, are actually ignoring the facts: The stock JK is the best overall daily driver, and it will afford him the best reliability with the greatest safety, the best gas mileage and reasonable acceleration. Now, if he doesn't like the looks of the stock JK, that's fine. But that's not how he posed his question.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Foo;1413005]Tera Flex BB!

Rides like stock, and lifts enough for 35's.

Yep those are 35's! , heck with some trimming 37's might just fit.

[/

LOVE THE WHEELS!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the replies. This is almost the perfect asnwer for my needs. I've been doing some research and was almost set on the rock krawler. I called one on the local install shops and they said never to buy rock krawler and it was the worst out of all the suspension lifts. Can someone chime in on this? On this forum through my searches and research it looked like RE was the least liked for the long arm lift and rock krawler was one of the most liked next to teraflex. Thanks everyone for your help and advice.
Chris

Originally Posted by Phishjeep
If you're going 37's, and plan on keeping it for a long time, a long arm lift is the ONLY way to go for highway driving.

It also has the benefit of being arguably better offroad. The highway ride of a longarm kit way outperforms other lifts and even stock configurations. Anyone who challenges this must be stuck with a short arm lift and green with envy. All the manufacturers will agree, although the ones who only make short arm lifts may take a little prodding to answer truthfully. As soon as they develop their own longarms, they will readily admit it.

Any of the three you mention are great choices, just look at the differences and pick the one for you.

The following is my biased opinion and plug for RockKrawler.

Super company and customer service. Great tech support. Lots of welding required, which I preferred over bolt on. Do it once and right and don't worry about needing to retorque bolts. I'm never planning on removing it, so it seemed logical to me. Big, fat bushings ensure a smooth ride. Very quiet suspension, and instead of grease fittings, they allow for oil to be dropped or sprayed in. I did it prior to install, and haven't had to add any in a year and 10000 miles. Still easy to do if I need to. Lifetime warranty. Solid steel adjustable arms and trackbars. perfect geometry for stable ride. Upgradeable to 5.5 if needed (3.5 plus flatfenders is good for 37's , or 5.5 if you want it taller). Upgradeable to triple threat if needed (you don't, unless you are desert racing/ prerunning). Upgradeable to coilovers. It does require an exhaust mod which looks intimidating, but isn't. It cost $100 and never through a code. I asked Burnsville and he said it will work with their Hemi upgrade. (I, too, want a Hemi).

As far as shocks, give a long hard look at Bilstein 5100s. They are tuned to the JK and are soft riding and firm when needed. My Two year old always falls asleep in the back, so I'm sure your baby will be fine too.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

I have a bds 3in suspension lift and love it
Old 11-04-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Well you are axiomatically incorrect on your assumption about daily drivers, but that isn't the real issue here. What astounds me is the fact that you keep quoting the original poster, but can't seem to wrap you head around the fact that he is looking for the lift that works best as a daily driver. Stock suspension is not a lift. Therefore the stock characteristics are irrelevant.
Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It's patently obvious that a great many folks on this forum consider gas mileage and vehicle acceleration major factors in the JK's performance, and most especially for a daily driver. He specifically said that he didn't want the answer that was right for an off-roader. He also did not comment that he thought the stock ride was particularly harsh. So, my point was to say that folks who are saying that getting any lift and putting larger tires on and regearing are right for him, are actually ignoring the facts: The stock JK is the best overall daily driver, and it will afford him the best reliability with the greatest safety, the best gas mileage and reasonable acceleration. Now, if he doesn't like the looks of the stock JK, that's fine. But that's not how he posed his question.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Everything I've read about Rock Krawler is however there are not nearly as many people on here with it compared to Teraflex.

Not sure if Rock Krawler is a sponsor, but send Teraflex a PM w/ any questions you have.

I believe Rock Krawler comes with aftermarket driveshafts also.

X2 on Bilstein shocks! Which comes on the AEV kit. If you end up getting a LA, AEV has a front steer kit, which is something to take a look at for improved handling.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Mopar (Rubicon Express) 4.5" longarm on my Rubicon Unlimited auto, and would highly recommend it. It has great highway manners, and also has plenty of clearance for 37's. It it happy at prolonged speeds of 80+ with no pull, shimmy, or shakes at all. (No harder to drive than my wife's X5)
Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by stlfan06
Everything I've read about Rock Krawler is however there are not nearly as many people on here with it compared to Teraflex.

Not sure if Rock Krawler is a sponsor, but send Teraflex a PM w/ any questions you have.

I believe Rock Krawler comes with aftermarket driveshafts also.

X2 on Bilstein shocks! Which comes on the AEV kit. If you end up getting a LA, AEV has a front steer kit, which is something to take a look at for improved handling.
rockkrawlers on here.

The the triple threat long arm rides great,and they are made in the US

Last edited by Piginajeep; 11-04-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

The Nth degree lifts are the best riding and best quality components for the JK that I think money can buy, but just too damn expensive for most.

IMHO, I think Teraflex produces the best balance of quality, afford ability, and customer service in a lift. Thats why TF lifts are most frequently used on JKs.

Whatever you buy, you should stay away from Rough Country and Skyjacker lifts for your JK. Those who want reasons should use the search function to get plenty of info.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by desertdawg
The Nth degree lifts are the best riding and best quality components for the JK that I think money can buy, but just too damn expensive for most.

MY AEV 3.5" Premium showed up today!! just got my Currie arms yesterday.. EXCITED

Quick Reply: What is the best lift for daily driving??