Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What is the best lift for daily driving??

Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What is the best lift for daily driving??

I did the search and there are so many posts on what the best lift is for offroading etc, but I could'nt find anything for daily driving. I have a Rubi Unlimited Auto that I drive over 70 miles everyday. I am definitey going with 37's and I think they are the perfect size for the unlimited. I am looking for the best overall lift and shocks for daily driving. I may hit the trail once in a while, but due to work hours, it's not very often. I have the auto, so based on my search it looks like 5:13's are the way to go for the gears. After reading through the posts I am impressed with the Rock Krawler, Teraflex, and Full Traction in that order based on everyones posts. If anyone has experience with these, GOOD and BAD, please let me hear it. If you think I am leaving a brand out please tell me about it. Now I have a few questions.

1: Which one of these will last the longest if properly maintained?
2: Is the long arm worth the money for highway driving?
3: What shocks do you all recommend? (I have a newborn)

Thanks for everyones help and opinions. I had three lifts on my TJ and ended up wasting a bunch of money. This is a major purchase for me and I want to do it right the first time with this one. I plan to keep this jeep for a long time.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

Hands down TeraFlex.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

OME!! The ride quality is awsome. Much better than stock.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not that it matters for the type of lift, but in case it does I will be putting a 6.1 Hemi in way down the road.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi

The TeraFlex LA is a great kit. It rides better than stock and you will not get steering issues.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I have the auto, so based on my search it looks like 5:13's are the way to go for the gears.
Auto/D44's/37's. You might do a little more searching to see if 5.38's should be a consideration instead of 5.13's...
Old 11-02-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe we can get the manufacturers to chime in.... (Im sure Joe form Tera will unless hes busy with SEMA)

But it might be a good question to see which lift corrects the "Roll Center" of the JK to give it better on-road handling and highway stability.. I didnt bother looking into that stuff or even knew anything about it.. now Im re-doing my lift. I thought all I needed was a small BB and id be set.. especially after reading posts about peoples opinions on BB's and how the JK's ride the same after the lift..

The truth is, they do not. Once a JK is lifted, the handling and steering is greatly affected. Some lifts will get you onto larger tires.. but that is all.

some lifts (Pretty sure Rock Krawler does this) corrects the roll center of the jeep which must be raised as much or more than what the lift is. This is KEY to get the proper ride and handling out of a daily driven Jeep.

Good luck with your decision.

And what I posted in this post is only my opinion. Im sure there are people that disagree with me, and thats fine.. But I was not happy with the results of my BB (Even tho the kit was a very good one for the money, and I do not regret buying it at all)
Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roadking
I did the search and there are so many posts on what the best lift is for offroading etc, but I could'nt find anything for daily driving. I have a Rubi Unlimited Auto that I drive over 70 miles everyday. I am definitey going with 37's and I think they are the perfect size for the unlimited. I am looking for the best overall lift and shocks for daily driving. I may hit the trail once in a while, but due to work hours, it's not very often. I have the auto, so based on my search it looks like 5:13's are the way to go for the gears. After reading through the posts I am impressed with the Rock Krawler, Teraflex, and Full Traction in that order based on everyones posts. If anyone has experience with these, GOOD and BAD, please let me hear it. If you think I am leaving a brand out please tell me about it. Now I have a few questions.

1: Which one of these will last the longest if properly maintained?
2: Is the long arm worth the money for highway driving?
3: What shocks do you all recommend? (I have a newborn)

Thanks for everyones help and opinions. I had three lifts on my TJ and ended up wasting a bunch of money. This is a major purchase for me and I want to do it right the first time with this one. I plan to keep this jeep for a long time.

Thanks,
Chris
1. Just about any lift kit will last for the lifetime of the JK with proper maintenance, particularly the 3 you listed and some others.

2. Long arms will do little to enhance your highway driving, unless you are going 6+ of travel.

3. Your shocks will have a tremendous impact on how your vehicle rides on the road. There are many good choices in brands, many of which are private brands since there are only a few manufacturers.

Aside from reading posts, I suggest you talk to the manufacturers and let them sell you on their engineering and CUSTOMER SERVICE. You should notice differences between them. That could be your deciding factor. Take your time, the lift kit you select will likely have a significant impact on the happy ownership of your JK.

I chose the AEV kit because it has excellent road etiquette combined with good offroad manners, and unlike some very lucky members, it is my DD and I have to drive a few hundred miles just to hit my favorite dirt holes.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great feedback. The details a of your guys experience are great. It would be nice to hear from the vendors.I heard the same about Rock Krawler.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Super Freak

If you're going 37's, and plan on keeping it for a long time, a long arm lift is the ONLY way to go for highway driving.

It also has the benefit of being arguably better offroad. The highway ride of a longarm kit way outperforms other lifts and even stock configurations. Anyone who challenges this must be stuck with a short arm lift and green with envy. All the manufacturers will agree, although the ones who only make short arm lifts may take a little prodding to answer truthfully. As soon as they develop their own longarms, they will readily admit it.

Any of the three you mention are great choices, just look at the differences and pick the one for you.

The following is my biased opinion and plug for RockKrawler.

Super company and customer service. Great tech support. Lots of welding required, which I preferred over bolt on. Do it once and right and don't worry about needing to retorque bolts. I'm never planning on removing it, so it seemed logical to me. Big, fat bushings ensure a smooth ride. Very quiet suspension, and instead of grease fittings, they allow for oil to be dropped or sprayed in. I did it prior to install, and haven't had to add any in a year and 10000 miles. Still easy to do if I need to. Lifetime warranty. Solid steel adjustable arms and trackbars. perfect geometry for stable ride. Upgradeable to 5.5 if needed (3.5 plus flatfenders is good for 37's , or 5.5 if you want it taller). Upgradeable to triple threat if needed (you don't, unless you are desert racing/ prerunning). Upgradeable to coilovers. It does require an exhaust mod which looks intimidating, but isn't. It cost $100 and never through a code. I asked Burnsville and he said it will work with their Hemi upgrade. (I, too, want a Hemi).

As far as shocks, give a long hard look at Bilstein 5100s. They are tuned to the JK and are soft riding and firm when needed. My Two year old always falls asleep in the back, so I'm sure your baby will be fine too.

Quick Reply: What is the best lift for daily driving??