Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Battery To Use For Winch?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where can you get an interstated red or yellow top from?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I can fill in some people about batteries, I delivered for interstate for 2 years. They sell a lot of optimas to Sams club but just look in the yellow pages if looking for a distributor. I can get almost any lead acid battery I want for free, but would take the blue top deep cycle out of all of them if given the choice. These things hold up really well if taken care of. This means putting them on a battery tender while not in use, or put on a trickle charger after a day of using the winch. The only difference between the blue and yellow top is that the yellow top has side posts while the blue has posts and studs on top. Side post batteries have a tendacy to fail more during high amp draws then top posts, that is why I would get the blue top. The red top would be my last choice, it for one is just a starting battery. This means it doesnt hold much reserve capacity and if it does get drained, the life on the battery takes a dive. Deep cycles hold up much better because they have more lead in them so the cells dont break down as fast. Now you are never supposed to drain a battery all the way down, but in the case you do. Then the deep cycle will make all the difference in the world. About the optimas blowing up, after 2 years of charging batteries Ive never had a optima blow up on me. When charging a battery always use the trickle method with the charger set to like 2-3 amps max and let the battery charge for no more then 10 hours at a time with rest periods inbetween so you can check the progress. This will prevent 99% of battery blow ups. Someone said that optimas dont need to be charged...I know for a fact that is BS, a new battery can only sit for 4 months and still be considered fully charged. At about 6 months there is little hope of the battery having enough juice to start a car. This is true for all lead acid batteries, thats why interstate rotates all batteries every 3-4 months. Now a few tips on getting good deals is to go straight to the battery company and find some old batteries (cores) for them. With todays economy they make a lot more money on recycling the cores then they do selling the battery so get them some lead and many will cut you a deal. Ok Im done ranting

Peace.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really appreciate all of the hipe I am seeing about batterys. I have been using Delco 1150 truck battery and converting to a lead top post instead of a threaded stud. Have used the heck out of them and always held up really well. Winching does take a lot out of a battery but these have never failed me like the other brands talked about previously. For my $$ I will continue using the Delco 1150 or I should say, Delfi 1150 now.

Quick Reply: What Battery To Use For Winch?