Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What Battery To Use For Winch?

Old 04-04-2007, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Battery To Use For Winch?

Is the stock battery sufficient for winch use? Wondering what Battery are you guys using to winch?

Thanks,
Old 04-04-2007, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Your stock battery would be fine for a while, I ran the stock battery with a winch for about a year and a half with no problems. I am running a Optima red top now(got it for almost nothing) I am really happy with it. If I did it over again I would get a Optima Yellow top. The yellow top has a better reserve capacity.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

stick with the red top.

i have a yellow top in my ZJ, which is hardly driven. it sux. also... the red top has like a 5 year warranty... the yellow top is only 2.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by benmar2000
What is it about the Yellow top that sux.. I have heard people love the yellow top..

Also, has anyone heard if Mean Grean or any other company is going to make a dual battery tray like they did for the TJ..

Ben

I bet Kilby will
Old 04-22-2007, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by benmar2000
What is it about the Yellow top that sux.. I have heard people love the yellow top..

Also, has anyone heard if Mean Grean or any other company is going to make a dual battery tray like they did for the TJ..

Ben
Boy, I would like to find out too.. I dunno about the extra weight if a Red or Yellow top Optima will do what you need though.. Having lots of exp with Marine deep cycle batts, I would tend to go with them.. Depending on how much you winch..:<)
Old 04-22-2007, 06:39 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been using an Optima Yellow Top in my TJ for years, have had no problems with it and plan to do so in my JK once the factory battery goes. But, most deep cycle batteries will do the trick for you just fine.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is it that everyone is so gung-ho about Optima batteries? Is it that they really are that good compared to other battery manufacturers -- that is no one else comes close to comparing, or is it a matter of no one knows any better because everyone gives the advice to buy Optima so that's just how everyone does it?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Using ANY winch with a RED TOP OPTIMA will VOID your warranty. They make the YELLOW TOP OPTIMA for winches.

read your warranty....
Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...anty_info.html

Abusive service / Deep Cycle Applciations / Car Audio Not covered

(if you read the paperwork the red top specifically mentions the use of a winch will void the warranty)
Old 06-29-2007, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by captsam54
Boy, I would like to find out too.. I dunno about the extra weight if a Red or Yellow top Optima will do what you need though.. Having lots of exp with Marine deep cycle batts, I would tend to go with them.. Depending on how much you winch..:<)
most marine deep cycle (most deep cycle for that matter) are not rated for a high amp load draw.

Quick Reply: What Battery To Use For Winch?