Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What backspacing should I order?

Old 12-07-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question delete

delete thread

Last edited by nealxam; 03-01-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Toyo MTs are a great rugged tire, but they are very heavy. The size you are considering is above 90 lbs each, where the stock tires are under 50 lbs.

That is lot of extra rotational mass for the brakes to control. Just keep this in mind since it your dd.
Since you are reducing backpacing you are also increasing the bending moment and dynamic loads on your axles. Fortunately you have a Rubicon.

Increasing your track will also increase your turning radius.

You are being conservative on lift which will reduce the additional loads on suspension, steering and driveline, but you are being aggressive on tire size.
I understand that is personal preference, but it does lead to an unbalanced vehicle design.

The wheels you are considering with the 3.75 - 4.0" inches of backspacing should give you enough outward clearance, and you stated you are going to trim as needed for vertical clearance.

If your 5.38s are in the mail, you should be set to go.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

I really think 4.0" backspacing is going to be cutting it close but the only way you'll know is to give it a try. The Toyo's are a BIG 37" tire. I just had a set delivered to my house the other day. I have Procomp rims with 4.7" backspacing so there's no way i can do it without rubbing. I had to buy some spacers to make sure I don't rub. I'm in the same boat as you as far as lift. I want as little as possible to get the 37's in place.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

i have 3.5 bs on mine and i like the way it looks. my width is 9.5 and i am running a 35 x 12.5 x 17. i would say i have about 2.5" of tread showing over stock flares and i have no rub issues at all while turning.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had those same brand rims on my old wheelset. They held up great. I went with these on my new 35's with 4.25" backspacing on a 16x8 rim.

May be worth checking out as they are pretty cheap and come with center caps.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92613_10XX_A_PG.htm

Looks like you already ordered wheels though

Quick Reply: What backspacing should I order?