Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What amount of backspacing is needed?

Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What amount of backspacing is needed?

So I am shopping for new tires and possibly wheels too, but I have questions.

I am running the stock Rubicon wheels and tires right now. Just put a OME lift on - got about 3" front, 3.5" rear.

I want to BFG KM2 tires. If I go with the 285/75R17 on my existing rims, will they rub? Do I need to add wheel spacers? Which I heard was not the best option (safety, stress, wear,??)

If I doo need to push those tires out some and opt for new rims what amount of back spacing should I be looking for? Is there a way to calculate this?

That siz tire is 34" high and 11.2" wide according to the BFG Specs.

My current tires are about 60% worn but have a weird wear pattern, probably from not swapping sides when rotating. I am scheduled to do the Rubicon trail at the End of July. Not sure If I can get by with these tires for that trip and upgrade after or if I should do it before.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 3.25 on mine and 35's. The lift manufacturer sais 4.5 - 4.75 suggested. I have the 4.5 and all seems fine.
Mandor6863
Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4.5 would be best bet up to 35's. Less if youre planning on going 37's or larger. Stocks have alot of negative off set & cant see how you wouldnt have issues w/rubbing. I thought the majority of lifts required spacers of 1" 1/2 to run which would put you at the usually recommended 4 1/2" of backspace. Easy to calculate. I do believe stockers have a backspace of 6". w/ 1" 1/2 spacers that puts you at 4" 1/2 of backpsace.
I.E. 6"-1 1/2" = 4 1/2" BS, which puts the tire farther out from the vehicle. Wear & tear on bearings, etc, is no different then running a properly BS wheel (the wheel is still at the same location/relative to the vehicle regardless). The problems come from not keeping up w/ensuring theyre torqued as additional maint. Every oil change should be fine after initial break-in.

Last edited by highwayman; 05-17-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

I too have the ome lift with about that much height and I'm running 4.7 bs, no rubbing issues
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

I have 295/70/18's which is about the same size tire. My Procomp rims are 8 1/2" wide, with 5" backspacing. The only rubbing I had was from the plastic air dam so I trimmed the sides off and have no more issues. I only have the TF leveling kit, so you shouldn't have any problems with either stock rims and spacers or new rims.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atch
I too have the ome lift with about that much height and I'm running 4.7 bs, no rubbing issues
Did you install bump stops with your lift?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 AM
JK Newbie

Default Kind of have the same questions - looking for help too

Hey guys, so this is my first ever forum post, so forgive me if this is in the wrong place or I do something I'm not supposed to on here. I've heard people can get pretty nasty on these. But please bear with me!

So I just bought a new 2012 Wrangler Sport last month and I HAVE to put aftermarket wheels and tires on it because the stocks are hideous!
I am looking to do 18" wheels with 33's.

The jeep is black and I am DEFINITELY doing black rims because I love the look but I am having a hard time finding some that I like that I can be CERTAIN will fit. My biggest issue right now is ensuring that the wheels I get will have backspacing that will work with the stock suspension. I may lift the jeep eventually, but for now, I want to try to fit the 18's and 33's without lifting. I know it will be close, but I'm gunna hope for the best. If I get the wheel and tires and they don't fit, I will consider a lift then, but I really really want to avoid any lifting right now.

I've read that I shouldn't go any bigger with backspacing than 4.5 but I guess I was just hoping someone could confirm/deny this.

Thanks for any help on it! Oh and also, if you have or know of any sick pictures of black on black wranglers (2 door) you can feel free to post them. I always like to see what other people have come up with!

Thanks guys!

--Ashley
Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mandor6863
I have 3.25 on mine and 35's. The lift manufacturer sais 4.5 - 4.75 suggested. I have the 4.5 and all seems fine.
Mandor6863
4 min would be good as this would allow room for growth in the future!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMashley
Thanks for any help on it! Oh and also, if you have or know of any sick pictures of black on black wranglers (2 door) you can feel free to post them. I always like to see what other people have come up with!

Thanks guys!

--Ashley
Here's a black on black 2 door that I owned two Jeeps ago. It had a 2.5" lift and 35s, on wheels with 4.5" backspacing. My Jeep now? Its one of those 2012 Wrangler Sports that has those hideous stock tires and wheels on it.

If you've got a Jeep with stock suspension now, and plan on keeping the suspension stock, it would be pretty easy to see how much bigger of a tire you can run. Just look under the Jeep and see where the tires are going to rub. With stock backspacing the inside edge of wider rear tires will rub the control arms and perhaps the swaybar brackets. Look at how much room you've got now, and you'll see how much bigger you can go. Decreasing wheel backspacing moves the tire out away from where it rubs, so you can run wider tires with wheels that have less backspacing. Pretty sure a 285 width tire is as much as you can go with stock wheels on the back end, and 265 width tires are as wide as you can go with stock front wheels.

Quick Reply: What amount of backspacing is needed?