Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What am I missing?

Old 04-16-2017, 09:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I missing?

Hey all,

This is my second Jeep JK, but first one I am actually building. In a week I will be pulling the trigger on the first round of parts to get my jeep running 37's. I will include the first list of parts, please let me know what else I am missing. There are a lot of pieces that go into this project to do it correctly. Firstly, this build will be for a 2016 Sahara Unlimited 3.6L Automatic with around 17K miles, mostly for trail riding and not serious rock crawling, I just want the ability to basically go anywhere anytime. Thanks for the help/input!!

First Round of parts:

Lift: EVO MANUFACTURING ENFORCER PRO SUSPENSION KIT STAGE 1 (Coilovers)

Wheels: KMC Machete beadlocks

Tires: Toyo RT 37X12.5X17

Driveshaft: FRONT Adam's 1310 (w/ T-case and Pinion yokes)

Programmer: Superchips Flashcal

Gears: Yukon 4.88

Misc: Valve stems, possible new TPMS sensors depending how the old ones come out, cut pinch seams, cut stock front bumper to add stubby ends, will most likely not run the spare until I get a rear tire carrier.

^^^this is what I have so far, let me know if I am missing something serious^^^

Second Round of parts:

Driveshaft: Adam's Rear 1310

Axle: C gussets and Truss (might happen first round)

Bumpers: Front and rear PS

Armor: PS rock sliders

Third Round (just for kicks):

Axles: Obviously, i will need beefier axles but, in reality they are not cheap. I do have them on the list, but they are waaaaaay down at the bottom due to cost. I know the weakest link is within the axles, i'll be saving up for that in the future, if anything crazy happens, i guess that's what credit cards are for...

That's all I got for now. I am not as worried about all the look cool mods at this point, I just want a solid list put together of the things i need to run 37's safely (giggles). Let me know what I am missing, or anything i should add. Thanks Again!!

Cheers!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like a pretty solid build list.

My recommendation would swap step one and step two for this simple reason. Having quality armor and recovery gear allows you to wheel your Jeep just as it is to see what direction you want to go with the lift.

My other recommendation is to truss and gusset your front D30 so that it can hold the heavy tire and wheel.

Lastly I would strongly recommend keeping your stock axle and drive shaft so that your weakest link is not your Ring and Pinion. I ran a D30 with an Aussie Locker, 5.13 and 35's and the only issue was I blew both axle shafts on the same hill in Moab.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

If it were me, I'd want to have all my steering upgraded as well. New DL, TR, and TB, and you had better account for BJs in there too, cuz those factory ones aren't going to last long. With 37s you are taking chances with Synergy, TF, or any other ~$225 options, and jumping to Rare Parts or Dynatracs is a big jump in price......so take that in to account in your build. When you slap the gussets on is the best time to just replace the BJ.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canvas

My recommendation would swap step one and step two for this simple reason. Having quality armor and recovery gear allows you to wheel your Jeep just as it is to see what direction you want to go with the lift.

My other recommendation is to truss and gusset your front D30 so that it can hold the heavy tire and wheel.

Lastly I would strongly recommend keeping your stock axle and drive shaft so that your weakest link is not your Ring and Pinion. I ran a D30 with an Aussie Locker, 5.13 and 35's and the only issue was I blew both axle shafts on the same hill in Moab.
My only problem would be the stock front driveshaft wouldn't last long at all with the length and angles. That's why I want to change that first (the kit also advises its a must). If I stayed with the stock gears I would be half way saved up for a pro rock 44 up front! And I like saving money. Thanks for the ideas! If you got anything else keep em coming,
Old 04-17-2017, 06:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
If it were me, I'd want to have all my steering upgraded as well. New DL, TR, and TB, and you had better account for BJs in there too, cuz those factory ones aren't going to last long. With 37s you are taking chances with Synergy, TF, or any other ~$225 options, and jumping to Rare Parts or Dynatracs is a big jump in price......so take that in to account in your build. When you slap the gussets on is the best time to just replace the BJ.
Ugh. Thank you! Steering upgrades are now on the list! They are relatively cheaper than the lift, wheels and tires. Once the huge price of lift, wheels, tires, and whatnot is out of the way everything will be easier. It's just that 10k first round of parts... I wish a full set of sick axles weren't another $12-14k who has that money!?
Old 04-17-2017, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canvas

Man. You got the ol' wheels turning in my brain. Great input here! Truss and gusset on the list. I'm not doing anything crazy right off the bat, gotta make sure she can chooch before I send'er. I guess I'll do what's on the list and pick away monthly at her.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I'd also add that you might want to add some bracketry on the list as well. Specifically beefing up the TB brackets on both axle and frame side. The factory bracketry is pretty weak. On the frame side Ace started making a bracket similar to Synergy's, and it's a bit cheaper. I think ~$75 IIRC. Since you're now thinking about TR, probably good time to relocated that steering stabilizer to above from below. LOL. The list just continues to grow. Unfortunately when you're talking changes like this you have to pick a spot to draw the line.....and there is never a super convenient spot to do so. Those are smaller things for the list, but all this stuff starts adding up....$50 here, $50 there.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome suggestions and ideas! I can't wait to get this started. Once I do, I'll create another thread elsewhere on here showing the build. Thanks guys, you rock!
Old 04-17-2017, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Just checking to make sure I have this right.

This is the lift you're talking about and its contents?
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/c...on-kit-stage-1

It seems to me with 37's and that height, you would likely want replacement rear control arms to re-center your rear axle to avoid rub. Unless there's some brackets in that kit that I'm missing which extends the length of the rear control arms?

That seems like a lot of money for that lift where the only thing I'm seeing special are the coil-over shocks and a bunch of extension bracketry.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Just checking to make sure I have this right.

This is the lift you're talking about and its contents?
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/c...on-kit-stage-1

It seems to me with 37's and that height, you would likely want replacement rear control arms to re-center your rear axle to avoid rub. Unless there's some brackets in that kit that I'm missing which extends the length of the rear control arms?

That seems like a lot of money for that lift where the only thing I'm seeing special are the coil-over shocks and a bunch of extension bracketry.
Yep, that's the kit. Pricey, yes (Made in USA). Comes with adjustable front lower control arms and drag link flip kit. They do make the same kit with all 8 arms, but that's over $1k more, I can do that over time. I can spend up to $500 a month on parts.

https://youtu.be/VjsHISp0iq8

Quick Reply: What am I missing?