Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What all am I going to need?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What all am I going to need?

Im fairly new to the new 4 doors and such. My dads got a tj with the 4inch lift and so on and I'm wanting to go with the rough country 4 inch with my sahara. What all is going to be needed besides the kit am i going to have to make the brake lines longer? I read somewhere on here a few weeks ago about something over 3" you would need to. My jeep is just a DD and prob won't see much off road time more of a show off in town!! Im going with 35s also
Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Righetti
Im fairly new to the new 4 doors and such. My dads got a tj with the 4inch lift and so on and I'm wanting to go with the rough country 4 inch with my sahara. What all is going to be needed besides the kit am i going to have to make the brake lines longer? I read somewhere on here a few weeks ago about something over 3" you would need to. My jeep is just a DD and prob won't see much off road time more of a show off in town!! Im going with 35s also
TJ's and JK's are completely different.

You can run 35's with a 3" lift. Most of them come with drop down brakets for the brake lines.

If you have an auto, You'll need a new front driveshaft.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Piginajeep

If you have an auto, You'll need a new front driveshaft.
If its all for show, you might not need the drive shaft. That'll only become a problem when you start flexing up the front end. However, if you do get it off-road, you'll probably tear the boot on the tranny skid and end up replacing the driveshaft. I tore mine within the first 15 minutes the first time I had mine off-road.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:02 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by bobzinger
If its all for show, you might not need the drive shaft. That'll only become a problem when you start flexing up the front end. However, if you do get it off-road, you'll probably tear the boot on the tranny skid and end up replacing the driveshaft. I tore mine within the first 15 minutes the first time I had mine off-road.
I only assume people use their jeeps.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

You might look at the Tetaflex 2.5" coil lift. It will give you about 3" total, clear 35's and you won't need to make any other changes.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

If looks are mainly what you want save the $$ and get a 2.5" Budget Boost or coil lift. As has been said, 35's will easily fit.

However, if you want to do it right the first time as you'll probably start hitting trails more often once you see how capable it is, then get the 4" Rough Country Lift and think about 37's. Consider the lift and all the extras you'll need like Toad mentions above, you'll be spending several thousand dollars, but will probably save you money in the end. Trust me, I went BB route and now kicking myself for not getting the 4" lift to start, now I'm going to pay more for it.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Well thanks guys this has helped alot. The reason i was looking at the rough country kit was cause ive seen it on some other tj's but like you say they are different from the jk. I just like the kit beacause its a decent kit for the price and i don't plan going off road if any at all. Sorry to diss any hard core jeepers out there. I just think it looks bad ass for it to be blacked out with a lift and 35s and 18's and the doors off! So is there any other kits out there for me that maybe ive overlooked or haven't seen that don't cost me an arm and a leg?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well thanks guys this has helped alot. The reason i was looking at the rough country kit was cause ive seen it on some other tj's but like you say they are different from the jk. I just like the kit beacause its a decent kit for the price and i don't plan going off road if any at all. Sorry to diss any hard core jeepers out there. I just think it looks bad ass for it to be blacked out with a lift and 35s and 18's and the doors off! So is there any other kits out there for me that maybe ive overlooked or haven't seen that don't cost me an arm and a leg?
Yeah! The Rough Country 2.5" coil lift and their 1 body lift, and you're set!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for the help. any good deals on all terrains and wheels?
Old 12-10-2008, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the help. any good deals on all terrains and wheels?
For wheels get yourself a set of Cragar Soft 8's from Summit Racing and for tires, check with the guys at discount tire. They are a sponsor on here and shouldn't be hard to find! Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply: What all am I going to need?