Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What air pressure do you run in your 35"s?

Old 11-21-2011 | 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Last edited by jezzalachis; 10-10-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2011 | 03:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

28 is about perfect for even tread wear
Old 11-21-2011 | 04:47 PM
JK Freak

28 psi for me too.
Old 11-21-2011 | 06:00 PM
JK Jedi

I run 30 psi as well in my 35s
Old 11-21-2011 | 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Load range C? D? E? Sidewall plys? Radial or bias? Military take-offs? Freeway or off road? Sand, rocks, or mud? High pressure generally = rough ride but good mileage. Low pressure = comfy ride but crappy gas mileage. Too many variables and not enough info in what you want.

If for the highway, do the chalk test as described above. If off road, as low as you can go without breaking a bead.

It all depends on what you have and what you want in a ride.

For what it's worth, I run ~34 PSI freeway and 12 PSI off road; BFG KM2 Load Range D. 34 PSI seems about right for OK mileage and not rattling my teeth. Lower than 12 PSI gets too close to break-a-bead territory if you don't have bead locks.

2 cents.
Old 11-22-2011 | 05:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jezzalachis
I run 30PSI on my Grabbers... If you really want to find the optimum pressure for your tires while out DD, find a good, smooth paved surface and do the chalk test on all four tires. You'll find the optimum pressure depending on the chalk pattern you find on your tires. Chalk wear in the middle only - too much pressure. Chalk wear on the outside, too little pressure. Even chalk wear - just right!!!
Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Load range C? D? E? Sidewall plys? Radial or bias? Military take-offs? Freeway or off road? Sand, rocks, or mud? High pressure generally = rough ride but good mileage. Low pressure = comfy ride but crappy gas mileage. Too many variables and not enough info in what you want.

If for the highway, do the chalk test as described above. If off road, as low as you can go without breaking a bead.

It all depends on what you have and what you want in a ride.
All of this is sound advice. The advice given by the other folks who started spouting off without asking what type of tires, what load rating, and how much your rig weighs is worth less than what you paid for it.

I run 2 sets of 35's (1 summer, 1 winter), and both are wearing very evenly and ride well. I got advice from people that had run the same types of tires on a rig of similar weight, and then verified it with a chalk test. My tires now wear so evenly that when I go in for a "preventative maintenance" alignment/balancing/rotation, the manager of the tire shop comments to me about how my tires are wearing perfectly evenly.

Your best bet? Listen to the wise words of AZJeeper, and follow the chalk test as laid out by jezzalachis.
Old 11-22-2011 | 08:25 PM
JK Newbie

If you guys run them at 30 how do you keep the tire pressure sensor from going off all the time.
Old 11-22-2011 | 08:55 PM
JK Junkie

I don't have them any more. And my AEV ProCal makes the lights stay off.
Old 11-22-2011 | 10:05 PM
JK Freak

28-30 is what I usually run.
Old 11-23-2011 | 03:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Stupid question but what is the caulk test? Just a line across the bottom to see if/where it wears off?

Quick Reply: What air pressure do you run in your 35"s?