Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What to add protection to first?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to add protection to first?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for advice/ experience as to where to best start adding protection to my JKUR. As we all do, I often try crawling things that may just be out of my jeeps capability and I'd like to invest in helping protect any susceptible parts.
From what I see so far, most of my impact rash is on the existing gas tank skid and Rubi rails.
Are diff covers where I start?
The only aftermarket skid I have is the AEV front skid. Everything else is still stock.
Thank you!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock skids do a good job for most guys. I would look into an oil pan skid first, it's one of the major areas that was left exposed. After that, I'd say diff covers.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what year you have but an evap canister skid or relocation is a good idea for 2011's and earlier (no clue on design with new engine).

Oil pan skid is a good Idea but I don't have one and been rock crawling for 3 years without any damage.

A good set of rock sliders is another good investment. The stock rubi ones will do ok in light rocks but if you start dropping your jeep on its side, you will want some sliders that are frame mounted and stick out a bit.

If you want to protect the sway bar disconnect t motor, front skids like thd rugged ridge one is cheap but heavy duty.

Other than that, the stock skids take a beating and hold up well.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Junkie

You may think about up grading your steering stablizer to above the sway bar for protection.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with EVO pro tek skid system (3pcs) and replaced my rubi rails with EVO slider (weld on). I believe the money was well spent. I have a 2013 which has stock evap canister skid and all the other stock skid will hold up. The oil pan and trans cooling lines were what I was most worried about need some protection.

Last edited by hooper; 01-01-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The only skid I added was to the oil pan. It's not likely that you'd hit it but a hole in it would certainly ruin your day. I picked up the Rancho for a little over $100. I guess the evap is in a bad place but it won't end your trip and can probably be reinstalled.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for the help!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sliders and oil pan
Old 01-01-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hooper
I went with EVO pro tek skid system (3pcs) and replaced my rubi rails with EVO slider (weld on). I believe the money was well spent. I have a 2013 which has stock evap canister skid and all the other stock skid will hold up. The oil pan and trans cooling lines were what I was most worried about need some protection.
Would you say that the Eco sliders have enough area to step on to assist getting in the jeep? My wide is short and needs some sort of step.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went Oil pan out of the gate. Rancho's armor does the job fine..

Quick Reply: What to add protection to first?