Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What about body lifts???

Old 01-07-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people frown upon body lifts. It seems you can get away with a 1 inch without too many comments. I've had 3 inch body lifts on a few toyotas I owned. Even a 1 inch is noticeable on a Jeep. A 3 inch looks absolutely horrible. Personally I am going with a 1 inch. I'm waiting for some kind of comparison thread on BL kits. Like I said in my last post... Prices range from under 100 to over 200...even up to 250 or more. Are the more expensive kits worth buying?

I do know that the bigger the body lift the more work you need to do during the install.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:29 PM
JK Super Freak

There was a thread recently about body lifts that I wrote quite a bit on but here goes. I have the Daystar 1" kit which is the most expensive. There is a lot more hardware with this kit and it comes with 12 poly spacers versus aluminum like MORE. I'm not saying one is better, but the Daystar kit does have more parts/pieces thus the price is higher. I still think the price is high for what you get as is the MORE but to a lesser degree. The Daystar kit having black poly spacers is less obvious visually and the spacers actually sit under the factory isolater and therefor have larger surface area. I think the MORE kit is fine and it is at least half the time to install although the Daystar kit took me just under 3 hours I think with hand tools and floor jack. My memory card reader isn't working or I would post some pics.

The only negative I see is the rear pinch seam beeing visible, but I think a new rear bumper with tire carrier would just about eliminate that along with painting the pinch seam black to conceal it.

Last edited by kidjeep; 01-08-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

that link on the forum came up with nothing, maybe i dont know what i'm doing. My main concern is if there are any complications i need to know about??? Is it just as easy as it looks??? i haven't installed a BL before just a suspension lift. Do you have to jack the body all at once or just one at a time??? pics of someones would help. How are the gaps? I guess 1" isn't bad.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nozz
that link on the forum came up with nothing, maybe i dont know what i'm doing. My main concern is if there are any complications i need to know about??? Is it just as easy as it looks??? i haven't installed a BL before just a suspension lift. Do you have to jack the body all at once or just one at a time??? pics of someones would help. How are the gaps? I guess 1" isn't bad.
Do you have a 6 speed? Thats whats got me no hold a little. I here its simple but if you have a standard you have to trim a little around the shift boot and sheet metal. I know a long time ago I put one on my Toyota pick up and the damn thing never went into gear right. So I'm waiting to see how its done.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

You need to loosen all the bolts and remove one side only then jack up that side, put your pucks in with bolts loosely threaded then go to other side and jack up and do the same. It is pretty easy install, like I said the MORE kit and PA kit would be the simplist. The Daystar kit had good instructions, but I had done a 1" kit with a YJ and TJ previously.

There are no other mods as far as I know with any of the kits, other than the obvious adding of the body pucks/spacers. I have an Auto tranny and had no problems. Some with manual have had to do minor trimming for shifter clearance
Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

From the Performance Accessories site :

WRANGLER JK, UNLIMITED JKL, 2/4 DR, 2/4WD 2007 Part #991 26, 29

26) NO BUMPER BRACKETS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS KIT

29) MANUAL TRANSMISSION MODELS REQUIRE A SHIFT LEVER EXTENSION OR LINKAGE BRACKET SOLD SEPERATLY.

People say that the trim job under the boot (with any of the BL's) with the 6 speed is minimal and only takes a few moments, if needed at all.....................
Old 01-08-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

the bds kit does come with bumper brackets and steering extension but does anybody have it
Old 01-12-2008, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 6 speed and that is my main concern. Do you have to extend the steering? That is a little much for a 1 inch kit. I will probably go with Performance Accesories, its only $99. But now I am concerned that I need all these extensions.:
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 6 speed and that is my main concern. Do you have to extend the steering? That is a little much for a 1 inch kit. I will probably go with Performance Accesories, its only $99. But now I am concerned that I need all these extensions.:

Picked mine up yesterday. Hope to install this weekend, depending on what my wife and kid have planned for me........
Old 01-12-2008, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default Body Lift

I have an 07 Unlimited 6sp and I installed a m.o.r.e. 1" body lift. Installation is very straightforward. Loosen all body bolts, then jack up one side of the body at a time. My shifter did hit after the install. About 1 minute w/ a razor knife on the inner shift boot completely solved the problem. I am very satisfied w/ the results.

Quick Reply: What about body lifts???