Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What about the Bestop tire carrier

Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about the Bestop tire carrier

I've been looking for a tire carrier to support my 35" spare so my tailgate doesn't fall apart later down the road. I want a tire carrier that swings w/ the tail gate b/c its my dd as well as my trail rig. $$ is hard to come by right now so the AEV and the Exp 1 tire carriers are out of range.

Which brings me to the bestop tire carrier:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12203_100_07.htm

This rig has one and it looks pretty good w/ his bumper:

W/ this one I can get a more simple rear bumper or even keep my stocker for a little while. And best of all it swings w/ the tailgate, yet keeps the weight of the spare off of the tailgate and the tailgate hinges, AND it is only $250 (well within my somewhat limited budget). It says it can support up to 200 lbs, so my 35" spare is well under the weight limit.

Does anyone have any experience w/ this tire carrier?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am real interested in hearing more about this as well...
Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dooboy
i have one, my wheels are xd addict with 35" MTR, the mount speads the weight over an area of about 18"x18" and it is a solid plate, then the tire is jam tight against two bars and there is no movement, i don't know what it'll do to the hinges but so far so good, the only rattle i get is from the lock i put on to prevent someone walking off with my spare.
I'm considering this as well. This is just like the smitybilt one...which btw is a little cheaper. The description says it has "adjustable arms" to prevent tailgate sag.

How does that work? Do the arms allow you to lower the tire so it rests on the rear bumper?

And if all it does is distribute the weight then I may just look at the MBRP reinforcement brackets. $30
Old 01-24-2010, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Curiosity
And best of all it swings w/ the tailgate, yet keeps the weight of the spare off of the tailgate and the tailgate hinges,
How does it do that?
Old 01-24-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sethc84
How does it do that?
Bah, after inspecting it a bit closer, it's nothing like the TJ version of this. It just distributes the weight on the tailgate more evenly, but still keeps the full load on the tailgate. I have a friend w/ a TJ that has one of these and I assumed the JK version would be the same... that'll teach me to assume.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I believe this tire carrier just distributes the weight of the spare, but all the weight is still supported by the tailgate.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Curiosity
Bah, after inspecting it a bit closer, it's nothing like the TJ version of this. It just distributes the weight on the tailgate more evenly, but still keeps the full load on the tailgate. I have a friend w/ a TJ that has one of these and I assumed the JK version would be the same... that'll teach me to assume.
If it did do it, the carrier might be worth the money.

Quick Reply: What about the Bestop tire carrier