Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

what 15" wheels?

Old 05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeiv
I am running MB TKO 15x8's from Discount Tire (MB is their house brand of rim).

The BS is 3.75inch and clears my brakes no problem. Discount tire does free rotation and balancing so I just get them rebalanced and rotated every 6 months and havn't any trouble keeping them balanced.

The pros of going with this setup for me were:

1. Tires were MUCH cheaper, more than $100 cheaper to get 35x15x12.5 than 35x17x12.5 so that savings covered the price of the wheels, if I end up keeping with the 15's the next set of tires will be a huge savings vs if I had 17s, if I decide to get 17's I can sell the set of rims for $40-60 each and move on to something else.

2. No wheel spacers, I personally feel that wheel spacers are safe if you check them everytime you rotate your tires, but discounttire policy won't mount wheels on the Jeep if you are using spacers.

3. Tons of side wall for off road, little risk of rock rashing my wheels vs having 17's.

4. Each wheel is about 15lbs lighter than a similar set up on 17's. While some people claim unsprung weight isn't that important to gas mileage, having lower weight can't hurt, and I feel more comfortable running my spare on the OEM carrier b/c its only 10lbs heavier than a stock rubi spare.

The cons are:

1. the 3.75 back space sits out a little further than the 4.5-4.75 bs most 16 and 17 inch rims, and thus kick up more mud on the side of the Jeep... not a big deal but worth mentioning.

2. The backspacing makes my spare stick out a little further than a smaller bs'ed wheel does (might get the smithybuilts or teraflex carrier to fix this)... so I had to extend my bump stops to get the spare to sit flush with the tailgate.

3. Limited upgrade options... 37's would basically be a no go with these wheels (even though i have seen a 38x13.5x15 but those are few and far between) and even some upgraded tie rod ends won't clear with these wheels.

I am not that worried about con 1, b/c its a jeep so who cares if there is always dirt on the sides. Con 2 I plan to fix with a teraflex carrier eventually.. and 3 doesn't bother me b/c I am pretty confident I could easily sell my 5 rims for $200 - $300 if I ever decide to go to 37's or just go to 17's to run a different brand of tire...
Haha I get rock rash with these wheels just about every time i wheel!!! Touch them up all the time lol. Same 15x8

Quick Reply: what 15" wheels?