Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Well. My rubi doesnt like steep hills.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well. My rubi doesnt like steep hills.

M thinking it's a gearing issue, or I don't really know how to drive. Basically stalled out like three times in a row climbing a short, but steep hill. Floored the pedal once, and it just wouldn't turn the tires. Love the smell of a burning clutch too.

Running 4.10 gears on 35x12.5x18 trail Graps. Was in 4 high.

Lessons learned from this trip(my first in a modified jeep, and my new rig) 1. Wheeling at night is cool, but the tight spots are scary. 2. Don't pop a bead. (I did, couldn't change it so limped it home on the pressure I had.) 3. I need to figure out how to rewire my front left LED light. Other issues were identified, like slipping out of 4 Low, even with rocking back and forth a bit to get it in.

All in all, good fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1070055494.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	570210   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-913820378.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	570211  
Old 08-08-2014, 07:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4hi is likely your issues. Especially with heavy 35’s

I never wheel in high range -
Old 08-08-2014, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to climb a wall if you can get it to stay in 4 low.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
You should be able to climb a wall if you can get it to stay in 4 low.
Got it to stick in 4 low a couple of times, like when I really needed it.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:32 PM
JK Freak

make sure you are shifting into 4 lo "correctly", not being an ass mind you, but you have to drop the regular transmission into Nuetral, then drop the differential box into Nuetral, THEN with no foot on the brake and free to move/already rolling drop the diff. into 4 lo, then shift the transm. into drive/gear. Ive only done this on an auto, so I dont know which gear you use in 4 lo on a manual, I would think first, but if its different make sure to check your owners manual.

Its kind of Pita, but as long as you are shifting into 4 lo like this it should work every time without fail.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will echo what is being said here. 4 high is good for on road snow or gravel roads. You want to use 4 low for offroad crawling and climbing.

With the gearing in your Rubicon it should climb whatever you put in front of it.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

4 hi should only be used for sandy and icy/snowy road conditions, otherwise 4lo. Buddy has a manual, he normally starts his hill climbs in second. Said something about 1st and 4lo being too low to climb at a decent rate. He stalls sometimes too and he's been doing this a few yrs.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mountain Man Tim
make sure you are shifting into 4 lo "correctly", not being an ass mind you, but you have to drop the regular transmission into Nuetral, then drop the differential box into Nuetral, THEN with no foot on the brake and free to move/already rolling drop the diff. into 4 lo, then shift the transm. into drive/gear. Ive only done this on an auto, so I dont know which gear you use in 4 lo on a manual, I would think first, but if its different make sure to check your owners manual. Its kind of Pita, but as long as you are shifting into 4 lo like this it should work every time without fail.
I second this. I've had trouble shifting from hi to lo before in that it wasn't engaged properly and I wasn't spinning the tires at all. Backed up, made sure it was properly engaged and boom. Climbed like a champ.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stubicon
I second this. I've had trouble shifting from hi to lo before in that it wasn't engaged properly and I wasn't spinning the tires at all. Backed up, made sure it was properly engaged and boom. Climbed like a champ.
Thanks for the tips dudes. The only thing that had me mildly lost was my buddies jk just slides right into it, no problem, so did my sport. Guess I gotta take her out again and get a better feel for her.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brutevforce
Thanks for the tips dudes. The only thing that had me mildly lost was my buddies jk just slides right into it, no problem, so did my sport. Guess I gotta take her out again and get a better feel for her.
My first jk was an X and it was super easy to put into 4-lo. One smooth motion from 2hi to 4lo. My new Rubi...not so much. I have to make sure I'm on a slight incline/decline so I can let her roll a bit when going that last little bit from 4hi to 4lo

Quick Reply: Well. My rubi doesnt like steep hills.