Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Well after a month my RK 3.5 lift came in...

Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well after a month my RK 3.5 lift came in...

And nice kit but the instuctions kinda suck. They seem to be written for someone who has installed one these things before, they are written in generalities such as install track bar, install springs, etc. Tried to call them and they are closed for the weekend. I'm really wanting to get this knocked out tomorrow so maybe someone on here can help. Here are my questions..

1. Does anyone know how to install the bumpstops? Can't find a thing about them in the instructions, nor can I find the hardware that goes with them.

2. How hard is it to bleed the brakelines? Do I need a kit for this? All the RK instructions say is "install lines and bleed the brakes" lol...ok.

3. How in the hell do I adjust the lower arms and track bar. It gives measurements but doesn't say where you're supposed to measure. Plus it says things like 32.625", tha hell? How critical is it to adjust to the thousandth on an inch? If I adjust it to 36.5 am I going to screw something up?

So the instructions are a disappointment . The components are beefy but holy $hit they are heavy. Figure a 2-3mpg loss just from the weight . Thanks guys.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Haven't installed the RK kit but I've done a bunch of others.

1) They normally just replace the originals (in the spring) and you either weld them in or have to drill/tap a bolt hole. The fact that the ones you got didn't come with hardware may mean they are the weld-in variety. Hard to tell without seeing them. For the JK you should have 4 uppers and 4 lowers?

2) Bleeding the brakes is easy. You can search for this and find a million examples including some videos on YouTube that walk you through it. There are tools that help in this but it's not hard to do with someone assisting you. Make sure you replace the fluid with the right type for the JK and keep it off the paint. Paint and brake fluid don't play well together (personaly experience)

3) Most kit manufacturers quote the length from eyelet to eyelet (meaning from the center of the hole of one endlink to the center of the other). ".625" of an inch is just 5/8" so measure 32 and 5/8 inches. Get the arms as close as possible and you'll be fine until you can get the thing aligned professionally (which you should do). I drove my TJ for nearly a year without an alignment after a lift and found that I had my arms incorrect. It caused premature wear on the tires and ball joints.

A word of advice: you may want to consider having someone help you who's done this before. I respect that you want to wrench on your own rig, but there's nothing wrong with having help, it makes the beer go faster and the work seem easier.

- S
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
JK Freak

It sounds to me like you are tackling something that is above your skill set, I would suggest getting someone who as installed a lift before or have a place do it for you.
I installed the 3.5 x-factor with 3 people that are all experienced and to took us a collective 2 days to do taking our time and installing a high steer as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Freak

x3 on gettig help from someone who knows what they're doing - this is not something you want to make a mistake on.

This component image will help you identify the components - recommend you study it and compare it while under your rig before you put a wrench to anything:

http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=49335

get to know how and where to adjust your caster angle - important you get your pinion angle correct or you'll drive yourself crazy with issues:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment

While this is not your particular lift, basically it's all the same components you'll deal with:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up

I installed my Clayton Premium 3.5" lift by myself and it was 3 very long days - I took my time and checked everything twice before I removed, installed or torqued anything. I had no issues when I was done but it was a much longer install than I anticipated. Not the first time around a car either...
Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

Looks like most of your questions bave been answered here. I just installed this kit on my 2dr. I also added the ult steer kit. It took me and a buddy about 20 hours. This was our first time with a lift like this. And yes the instructions suck but the people at RK were great. I didn't use the given lengths of the control arms as they don't seem to align the driveshafts and pinions properly. If you have any questions about the install feel free to pm me about specifics.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to say go for the install yourself, but definitely have a buddy lend a hand. My friend and I, neither of which have ever installed a lift, just installed the Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel on my rig. I found it extremely simple and ran into no snags along the way that made it difficult. Granted I've done other work on automobiles before, just never lifting one.

Just stay patient, follow the directions (which could've been better), put on some tunes, grab a few beers, and get it done. After it's all over you'll say to yourself, "wow that was much easier than I thought". Best of luck to you.
Old 10-01-2011, 05:03 AM
JK Freak

For the control arms you can measure from side of the eyelet to side of the eyelet. This will give you a more accurate measurement. Example: with the control arm laying down, measure from the left side of the eyelet in the bushing to the left side of the eyelet in the krawler joint. This measurement will be the same as measuring center to center.

I just installed this kit on my rig and would be happy to answer any of your questions!

Rick
Old 10-01-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow thanks for the responses guys. Ton of knowledge right there. Got an old Jeepin buddy over to the house last night and had him look at it, he seem to think it won't be that bad, though hes never done a JK lift before.. Thanks for the tips and will most likely give a couple of you guys a pm when I run in to trouble.

Quick Reply: Well after a month my RK 3.5 lift came in...