Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Welding front axle truss

Old 05-26-2020, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Time to clean and paint then I’m replacing ball joints and upper link bushings.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

They look much better, good job! Spray paint, press your new ball joints in, and throw it back in.
The following users liked this post:
Sv_dude (05-26-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

I’m replacing the upper link bushings during this process, I got the bushings out and I’m surprised that these upper link mounts don’t fail more often. They look so flimsy, makes me happy to have a truss to support the arm at a higher point.

Old 05-29-2020, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Doneski! Installed Artec axle truss and track bar mount along with metalcloak chromoly tie rod, drag link, and track bar. Also new teraflex hd balljoints.

A new antirock sway bar will be installed soon.
jedg (08-02-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 135 Likes on 120 Posts

This was awesome! As someone with a welder in the garage but next to zero practice, makes me hopeful I could do some clean welding one day. Looks great.
Sv_dude (05-30-2020)
Old 05-30-2020, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
This was awesome! As someone with a welder in the garage but next to zero practice, makes me hopeful I could do some clean welding one day. Looks great.
To be honest, I wouldn’t call my axle work clean welding. I’d call it decent enough for an amateur. I had better welds on scrap when I was practicing for this, but welding onto 1/4” tube wasn’t something I had practiced for and my penetration wasn’t the greatest. If I had to do it again I would get a few feet of 1/4” thick tube and practice welding 1/8” thick plate to it. Getting good penetration on the tube without severe undercut on the plate was difficult for me. Also, welding the cast iron was a challenge and I wouldn’t use steel wire if I had to do it again. I should have used nickel and that was something I learned after the fact. I did preheat but maybe the nickel wire would have done better since that’s what’s supposed to be used for cast iron.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Sv_Dude those welds look just fine. My birdshit welding once on a gate held when my neighbours stud horse got a sniff of a mare and the gate was the only thing stopping him. He bent the gate. So your welding looks 100 times better. And in reality you build these trusses as insurance against damage not to actually ramp up the abuse factor more. IE you are not dropping the Jeep from 10ft off the ground.
Sv_dude (05-31-2020)
Old 08-05-2024, 01:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding Front Axle Truss: A Quick Guide

what is an undercut in welding?

Enhancing your vehicle's front axle with a truss is essential for added strength and durability. Here’s a quick guide:

Preparation: Gather materials (axle truss kit, welding equipment, safety gear) and clean the axle surface.

Alignment: Position and clamp the truss on the axle for proper alignment.

Welding: Weld the truss to the axle with consistent, even welds, focusing on both ends and the center for balanced reinforcement.

Finishing: Inspect welds for weak spots, then paint or coat the area to prevent rust.

This upgrade ensures a strong, reliable front axle for off-road adventures.

Quick Reply: Welding front axle truss