Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Welding 101

Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy5150
Also look at the drive rolls and check for scarring, its a sign that it was cranked down to hard. Be prepared to buy new leads and gun, if they are wrapped too tight it can damage the lining
I have looked around locally and they all seem in bad shape. I will keep looking....
Old 09-19-2012, 11:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sommer13
Check out millerwelds.com, awesome site for beginners. What kind of welding you lookin to learn? MIG, TIG, gas? MIG is easiest if you're just starting out. Be sure to get a good helmet and decent overalls, 100% cotton. Welder's burn sucks...
X2. They're have a bunch of great info on their site. I have a Millermatic 211. Stick is fun, takes some practice but generally for thicker metal although. A Lincoln tombstone welder can be had for cheap and it'll run forever. 240v only. Mig is easiest, my 211 runs either 120 or 240. You can weld a wide range of metals thin and thick. Wire feed is really easy. TIG is the most expensive to get into but creates awesome welds after practice, practice, practice.

If you have the funds- look into a multiprocess machine. I wish I had seen the Miller Multimatic 200 before getting my Miller 211 and Lincoln AC/DC 225/125.

Anyway- my welding instructor learned to weld because he wanted to mod his YJ. He picked up a machine, books and scrap metal. Soon after he went SOA and almost had a full skid plate welded before he sold it.

Just my .02
Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogsonparade
X2. They're have a bunch of great info on their site. I have a Millermatic 211. Stick is fun, takes some practice but generally for thicker metal although. A Lincoln tombstone welder can be had for cheap and it'll run forever. 240v only. Mig is easiest, my 211 runs either 120 or 240. You can weld a wide range of metals thin and thick. Wire feed is really easy. TIG is the most expensive to get into but creates awesome welds after practice, practice, practice.

If you have the funds- look into a multiprocess machine. I wish I had seen the Miller Multimatic 200 before getting my Miller 211 and Lincoln AC/DC 225/125.

Anyway- my welding instructor learned to weld because he wanted to mod his YJ. He picked up a machine, books and scrap metal. Soon after he went SOA and almost had a full skid plate welded before he sold it.

Just my .02
So... you can weld. Hmmm... I may have to hit you up later on for some lessons/tips.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

As far as scrap goes, check any and all local fab shops. Most will have a bin of scrap they will let you pick through. Some will let you have it for free (if the scrap price is down) some will want scrap price.

Also, a good learning project is building your welding cart. I bought a Miller 211 and the first thing I did was build a cart that catered to me. Some things I incorporated were:

Holders for 2 bottles (comes in handy of you want to weld metals that need other shielding gasses or just want a spare bottle around)
Made it higher than normal
Put on 4 swivel casters so I can roll it in any direction
Haven't got back aorund to welding hangers under the top for grinders, clamps, etc. but will one day.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Just to help you gage the current market price for scrap, the week prior to Labor Day Weekend I picked up some scrap (drops actually) for $0.60/pound.

Quick Reply: Welding 101