Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Welding 101

Old 09-19-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure every weld on the jeep from the factory and all of your aftermarket parts you install on your jeep is welded with a MIG. So strengh is not an issue, its the easiest way to learn welding. Im sure my grandmother can lay down a bead with a MIG welder.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Look at the lincoln TIG readypack. It is just over $1,000 and works great. I have been welding with both stick and MIG now for almost 20 years now and my brother had never burned a bead in his life. Well he just picked up this welder a month ago and we both learnd how to use it in about an hour. The arc melts the metal and makes a good puddle, making it very easy to see the two metals bonding together. This made it very visual for my brother to learn what was going on and to ensure a good weld.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by powrsurg
If a person wanted to teach themselves how to weld foor the purposes of fabricating brackets and other things, what equipment would you suggest?

I understand there are many different welding technigues. Which are the most practical for a newbie to learn.
I learned to weld at BOCE in Deer Park. Their programs are pretty good and it forces you to practice every time you go. Its a basic soup to nuts program.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

If you had $400 to spend... what would you get? Best bang for the buck.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would get the MILLER - THUNDERBOLT XL 225 AC ... its a good stick welding system it would run around 400$$
Old 09-19-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a Lincoln 180 and am a relative newb, but can lay decent beads.

Definitely save for the 220V welder. I made the mistake of buying a 110 and sold it shortly thereafter (luckily both were craigslist transactions and I actually made out 20 bucks ahead). If you are worried about the power source, you can use an electric oven socket(50A) or possibly the dryer socket(30A). To do this, you just need to make an extension cord with the necessary ends; all of which can be purchased at a hardware store.

In addition to the others' advice, I suggest buying a bunch of scrap and laying a bunch of practice beads until you are comfortable.

And pcc999, if I had $400 to spend, I would probably try to save up a couple hundred more and look for any Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart in the 220 variety. With gas and everything else, its gonna add up... You should check out CL and see if you can find a deal. I got a miller 175 with gas as a highschool graduation present like 7 years ago and needed money when I was in college a few years later and it ended up selling the setup for like $550.. so there are deals to be had.

Fast forward to the begining of this year, I was finally ready to buy another welder so I bought a cheaper $350 Lincoln 140 on Craigslist and outgrew it relatively quickly. After that I upgraded the whole shebang. It is night and day welding on anything thicker than 1/8" between the 110V and the 220V welder.

Last edited by tiltz; 09-19-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tiltz
I have a Lincoln 180 and am a relative newb, but can lay decent beads.

Definitely save for the 220V welder. I made the mistake of buying a 110 and sold it shortly thereafter (luckily both were craigslist transactions and I actually made out 20 bucks ahead). If you are worried about the power source, you can use an electric oven socket(50A) or possibly the dryer socket(30A). To do this, you just need to make an extension cord with the necessary ends; all of which can be purchased at a hardware store.

In addition to the others' advice, I suggest buying a bunch of scrap and laying a bunch of practice beads until you are comfortable.

And pcc999, if I had $400 to spend, I would probably try to save up a couple hundred more and look for any Miller, Lincoln, or Hobart in the 220 variety. With gas and everything else, its gonna add up... You should check out CL and see if you can find a deal. I got a miller 75 with gas as a highschool graduation present like 7 years ago and needed money when I was in college a few years later and it ended up selling the setup for like $550.. so there are deals to be had.
That is what I was thinking... There seems to be a pretty hefty jump in price to get a 220... like a miller 211.. Do you guys see any pitfalls in getting a used unit?
Old 09-19-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just make sure to test it out before you buy it. Try to lay some beads your self and have the seller show you it is working properly.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tiltz
Just make sure to test it out before you buy it. Try to lay some beads your self and have the seller show you it is working properly.
Just like anything... thanks...
Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pcc999

Just like anything... thanks...
Also look at the drive rolls and check for scarring, its a sign that it was cranked down to hard. Be prepared to buy new leads and gun, if they are wrapped too tight it can damage the lining

Quick Reply: Welding 101