Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Welding 101

Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All, thanks for the great info. Ill go on You Tube and check out MIG vs TIG. I was hoping this is something I could just start doing day of purchase but I guess not.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good advice above. I've been welding for 30 + years and done almost all types. I have Lincoln equipment at home, a 255xt Mig and a 185 tig.

My advice is to start out with Mig, it's by far the easiest to learn. Also if can run a 240 volt machine then you will be much better off as all the 110 volt units I've used have been a bitch to get a half descent weld out off without having spatter all over the job.

A machine somewhere in the size range around my Mig above will produce nice small weld on sheet metal and also large enough welds on plate and sections.
Get some scrap metal say 1/4" thick start practicing, if your set is digital then start at a wire feed of 210 and volts of 18, shielding gas should be around 25 to 30 CFH. These setting would be for 0.035 bare hard wire.

Play around with the settings, 99% of being good at Mig welding is setting the machine, 1% is keeping a steady hand.

Goatee
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I taught myself to weld starting about a year ago. I bought a Millermatic 211. I love it. It will operate on 110v and 220v. It will run solid wire (with gas) or fluxcore (no gas). For me so far it's been an awesome machine. Check with a few of your local dealers. The one I got mine from here in St Louis is called Cee Kay and they offer a free eight hour course if you buy a welder from them.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where do you get the scrap metal? I've seen places like Lowe's sell welders and gear but where do you get the raw metal to work with?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

See if there is a local metal supplier in your area. If not, you can get stuff at Metals Depot online. The prices are pretty good compared to the local guys by me.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by knightrohulk
Where do you get the scrap metal? I've seen places like Lowe's sell welders and gear but where do you get the raw metal to work with?
Yeah, if you have a local metal supply they usually have a pile of scrap that they will sell cheap. Also, craigslist. There's always guys on there selling left over steel. Happy welding, you'll love it
Old 09-15-2012, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Cotton is better than synthetic because cotton will burn slow but most synthetics will melt. Some leather sleeves are best. Especially if you are right under what you are welding. Any local construction sites could be a good place to find scrap metal. Lots of good advice. Enjoy
Old 09-15-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by powrsurg
I havnt welded a thing in my life so im going to go with Gas. LOL just kidding. Thinking Mig. I hear Tig is harder to learn and more messy but doesnt necessarily offer stronger welds.

Thanks for the site ill check it out.
TIG is absolutely the strongest welds possible if done correctly
Old 09-15-2012, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

The strongest weld ? Hmm that's all relative , when I was at trade school many moons ago we did a 2" silver soldered lap joint. That's just placing one piece over another. We put these joint pieces into a machine to stretch them apart, I remember and it I will never forget that mine didn't snap until the equivalent of 1 ton of force.

My point being , Mig welding is pretty strong stuff
Goatee
Old 09-19-2012, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a Mig welding chart from the inside cover of my Lincoln 255. These settings are good starting points

Goatee
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2124955392.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	367376  

Quick Reply: Welding 101