Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Welding 101

Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welding 101

If a person wanted to teach themselves how to weld foor the purposes of fabricating brackets and other things, what equipment would you suggest?

I understand there are many different welding technigues. Which are the most practical for a newbie to learn.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out millerwelds.com, awesome site for beginners. What kind of welding you lookin to learn? MIG, TIG, gas? MIG is easiest if you're just starting out. Be sure to get a good helmet and decent overalls, 100% cotton. Welder's burn sucks...
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer13
Check out millerwelds.com, awesome site for beginners. What kind of welding you lookin to learn? MIG, TIG, gas? MIG is easiest if you're just starting out. Be sure to get a good helmet and decent overalls, 100% cotton. Welder's burn sucks...
I havnt welded a thing in my life so im going to go with Gas. LOL just kidding. Thinking Mig. I hear Tig is harder to learn and more messy but doesnt necessarily offer stronger welds.

Thanks for the site ill check it out.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Freak

TIG is the strongest an cleanest weld possible but hardest to master due to the hand eye an when to dip the rod an when you know that your puddle is hot enough..

As far as wearing 100% cotton unless you want to be a human fire ball I would strongly advise against not using it get a good RF jacket so you don't catch fire..

As far as easiest go with a hardwire or fluxcore one uses gas the other doesn't. Hardwire uses DCEP( direct current electrode positive) an fluxcore uses DCEN ( direct current electrode negative)

But go to the local community collage around your area an take a welding course prob be around 250-300 an it's well worth it if you plan on doing welding for projects to come
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mook8651
TIG is the strongest an cleanest weld possible but hardest to master due to the hand eye an when to dip the rod an when you know that your puddle is hot enough..

As far as wearing 100% cotton unless you want to be a human fire ball I would strongly advise against not using it get a good RF jacket so you don't catch fire..
Just my suggestion, synthetic catches more...
Old 09-13-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Freak

Ive welding with sweatshirts an things along those lines an it's just a chance of burning up cause they don't stop the sparks from hitting you as a RF jacket does..

But Iam a welder an get things like that for free and have been doing this kinda thing for 10 years so kinda use to it
Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

I've caught fire welding once. I was wearing a Tshirt. But make sure you wear clothes that you don't care about. They will be full of little holes when your done. MIG welding is easy to learn. Go to YouTube to get the visual on techniques that you can use to make a good solid weld. Read some theory on welding it will help u understand what is going on between the puddle and the material you are welding. I have a mini mig welder that is great because u an use both flux core and solid wire on it. And even stick. A community college course would be a great way to learn. I personally learned by just trying things out and YouTube helped a lot. Just keep in mind. When you heat metal up it deforms and will pull to the side your welding on. When welding brackets make sure to tack weld both sides before you do a full bead. Cheers and good luck.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't get caught up in the red (Lincoln) vs. blue (miller) argument, both are good. I've always told people to get the best equipment they can afford, and if you cant afford good equipment now, wait and save your money until you can. If you have good equipment that is set up properly and your welds turn out like crap, its you, not the equipment. Keep practicing and then practice some more.
MIG welders will take care of almost anything you will need. I would stay away from flux core, that its for farm equipment where you don't care what the weld looks like.
A 120v welder is good, a 240v is better but much more expensive.
As far as protective equipment, get a really good digital welding mask with as many sensors as possible. It is the only thing protecting your eyes. I prefer the miller digital elite.
Good luck and practice practice practice.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I learned how to weld using Oxy acetylene which was a pain to get good with compared to MIG. You have to keep an eye on the puddle and when to dip the rod in. I would start with MIG and worry about TIG later like mook8651 said. I use a Lincoln Weld Pak 140HD and I like it. One of these day I'd like to get a larger welder.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sommer13

Just my suggestion, synthetic catches more...
I am a pyrotechnician and we HAVE to wear 100% cotton shirts and or jackets.

Quick Reply: Welding 101